starting problems

Our '96 Voyager has an inconsistent starting problem. When the key is turned, all you hear is a "click." The only way to start the van is to jiggle the gear shift repeatedly, or sometimes try to start while in neutral. Was told that this may be a problem with the neutral safety switch or some such creature. Can we try to fix this ourselves?

Reply to
sandra312

maxpower

Given the symptoms, I'd be starting with the Nuetral Safety switch. If it was the starter contacts, wiggling the shifter or using nuetral would have no effect. High resistance in the switch will often allow a solenoid to pull in ALMOST far enough to crank the engine. Chrysler used to get around this problem by using both a starter relay and an integrated starter solenoid - so the starter switch only had to handle the trip currrent of the relay. I've installed lots of Chryco starter relays on vehicles as varied as Austins, Toyotas, and Volkswagens to solve similar problems .

Usual scenario is the vehicle won't crank when warm - but occaisionally they also misbehave hot.

Definitive test is voltmeter between solenoid control terminal and ground. If less than battery voltage when in the crank position and not cranking, suspect the switch.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

bad,,replace

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

I agree it is the starter! If you are mechanically inclined, you can get away with replacing just the starter solenoid contacts. I've done this several times on many different Chrysler vehicles. Here is a web site that provides nice procedure and pictures and also can provide the contacts themselves for $5.00 each (you need a pair of them and they are different).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman