steering, or body?

Hi...

Reason the last message said "almost" brand new is 'cause I've now developed a problem, possibly of my own making, and would appreciate any helpful advice.

Went to the lake. First, checked and topped up everything, including unfortunately the power steering reservoir.

Newly beginners licensed driver the last 20 or 25 miles. No traffic at all, nice slightly winding road. Radio off, windows closed, fan turned low, no un-needed talking. (no distractions for beginner)

Heard as the steering wheel turned a clicking noise, almost like slowly winding a watch. About 1 click per maybe 2 inches of wheel turn. Heard the same noise (or similar) only once on very very gentle acceleration from a stop, and again just the very instant before a complete gentle stop. Couldn't tell whether from inside the car, or where.

Got where we were going, thought perhaps the power steering, so checked it to find that it was immensely over-filled. Used a straw to remove the excess (lots), and tried again. Same noises. Experimented a bit. Noise isn't perfectly in time, sorta like it was winding up tension on a bushing and letting go. Can't explain better. However, reversing the direction of turn gives you a bit of free space with no click. Perhaps 6 inches of turn before it starts.

Played on the way home. Found that I could duplicate it by holding the wheel as still as I can and hit a little bump. The "ramp" at the end of my driveway will do it everytime; just one click worth. Still can't tell whether it comes from inside the car, or engine compartment, or under the car.

There is however nothing under the car to grease, nothing at all! Can't find a single nipple anywhere.

Anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the dealer and run the risk of being told I need everything replaced?

Thanks in advance, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I don't think over filling the PS fluid reservoir would cause a clicking sound at the wheel. The Hi/Lo marks on the PS reservoir are to ensure that there is enough fluid in the system (LO mark) and that there isn't so much fluid that it will overflow when the PS fluid expands when it gets hot (HI mark).

Reply to
Phil T

Reply to
David