Strange codes on 98 cherokee

My 98 5.9 grand cherokee started acting odd yesterday. Occasionally, from a stop it would be real sluggish about taking off and sounded a bit odd...almost like it wasn't getting enough gas. Then it drove ok for a while, shut it off and started it back up. CE light was on so I pulled the codes. I got these:

PO726 The PCM has detected that the voltage signal from the engine speed input is out of range for the current engine operating conditions.

And:

P1281 Injection control pressure out of range high.

Any ideas?

Never came acroos anything that involved before, usually simple stuff that I can diagnose right away, but I'm kind of aprehensive about driving it without knowing what's going on.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. TIA

Mikhail

Reply to
mikhailnew

philthy

Reply to
mikhailnew

First, find a new source for code descriptions. P1281 means the engine coolant temp is cold too long. Usually a thermostat, but a bad ECT sensor could cause it also.

P0726 would be a trans related code, and if it was causing the trans to go into limp-in mode, would explain the poor performance.

Reply to
bllsht