Strange Electrical Problem

The electrical system on my '89 Lebaron goes completely dead -- no starter click, no lights, no dash - whenever after it sits overnight, or sometimes for several hours. However, if I disconnect and reconnect either battery cable, it will start instantly, and if it doesn't sit for long periods, it will also start instantly. So the battery, cables, starter and related equipt. must be OK.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem? I'm wondering if it's s related to a problem I had a few weeks ago when the battery needle started jumping all over the place, and the Traveler computer kept resetting itself. I thought i had cured that problem by disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting, the cables. But maybe there was something else going on that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
Larry

Most likely ignition switch or a bad connection somewhere in the power system. It sounds, from your description, like it stays bad for a while when it fails - time to get the multimeter out and start tracing voltage until you find the defect.

Bill Putney