stratus gear box shifts down unintended

My 1995 Stratus gas the following problem: while driving somertimes the automtic gear shifts down and I have to make an emergency stop, swithch off ignition and then it functions again until the next time. Dealer cannot find anything. Is there someone who can help?

Reply to
Magiel Venema

Sounds like it is going into limp mode from a bad tranny speed sensor - there are two - if speedo is working, it is input sensor that is the problem; if speedo not working, it is the output sensor. About a $20 part, 20 minutes to replace from underneath vehicle.

Bill Putney

One thing I simply can't stand about the electronic-controlled transmission is that very slight delay when one has a emergency and needs to kick it into "passing gear". The mechanical versions responded MUCH more quickly than the electronic versions do. That 3/1000ths of a second seems like several seconds when in panic mode.

Reply to
James C. Reeves