Stupid Question

A freind of mine brought his 300 Hemi in for service to his Dodge dealer and thay said he needed a tuneup. This service person said he had 12 spark plugs. Yes 12????? Now I don't know anything about his engine but I found that strange. I know V8's are 8 cylinder so is this stupid or what?????? Are thay just trying to rip him off like most Stealer's do? Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
dobbsc

Does it have plugless igniters with some new spark thing like some companies do now?

Reply to
David E. Powell

I don't know anything about sparkless igniters other then in a diesel engine that have something like a hot start plug.

Reply to
dobbsc

I changed the plugs in my 300m after 8 years (75k miles). You shouldn't need to change plugs on a relatively new car at this point.

That's wrong.

Chrysler never made a 12 cylinder engine (at least not in a production car).

Most was the 10 cylinder engine (take a small block 360 and add 2 more cylinders). That engine was put into the Viper and some Dodge Ram's I think - and nothing else. I don't think that even the SRT's had 10 cylinder engines.

Reply to
MoPar Man

They must be lazy at that dealer. Gen 3 hemis are dual plug so it should have 16.

Reply to
Road Runner

Now that you mentioned it I think his is a 2007 300 SRT. This car has great lines and all black with very little chrome makes it more impressive.

Reply to
dobbsc

The Hemi has 16 plugs. AFAIK, Chrysler has never made a twin-plug six. So your friend either needs a new mechanic or needs to clean the wax out of his ears ('cause he misheard, or didn't get some details about a bad ignition system frying 3/4 of the plugs, or something).

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Sounds like an over-zealous service writer that didn't see the rear dual exhaust pipes. OR he could only see the front three cylinders on each side, but knew it was a dual-plug setup. Hence, 12 spark plugs.

If they are using platinum spark plugs, no real need to change them until about 100K or so.

Sounds like a flakey deal!

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY