styling crap I'm sick of

  1. Those 3-d chrome taillight pods. Enough already. At first it was unusual looking, now every freaking car and SUV has them. Talk about stick-on styling. And now people are even putting them on old cars, makes me think of the lame-ass fad of people putting rectangular headlights on their old cars in the
70's to make stupid people think they've got a new hoopty.
  1. Plastic body cladding/fenders. Ugly, dull, colorless. Why put ANY metal on the outside of the car, just make a big giant version of a Weinermobile and make the whole skin out of polyvinyl. That new SUV thingee (a Honda I think?) is the worst - big grey, plastic squares just stuck onto the fenders. How attractive. Chevy Avalanche is a runner-up.
  2. Both 1 and 2 are making me wish they'd bring the tailfin back.
Reply to
mark french

That stupid Honda thing looks like a high top athletic shoe. It makes the AMC Pacer look as graceful as an eagle by comparison.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

On 05 Aug 2003 02:53:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mark french)

Hey, they could manufacture big polyvinyl aftermarket tail fins with the

3-d chrome taillight pods in them. Just think, you could install them in minutes - everyone could have a pair.

Some people, in a meager effort at trying to distinguish themselves would put dual pairs on their cars

Reply to
zzz

Funniest one I've seen is a body decal designed to look like a little vent or louver. I saw one the other day on a car just behind the front wheel well-- I guess you are supposed to think that this Neon, or whatever it was was so muscular that the brakes would overheat slowing it down unless they had additional ventilation...

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

Excellent observation. The old tricks no longer generate the "wow" effect as did the styling excesses of the '50s.

To my eye, the '78 VW Rabbit was a very successful exercise in styling. If you remember, it was one of the first cars to do away with chrome bumpers. Mine was off-white and had a very stylish red racing stripe down the sides. Very clever, those Germans. All done with paint! Proves that tastefull styling can be accomplished at low cost and no added weight or air friction.

Reply to
Phil

They are not powered, simply free wheeling. Expensive and made of plastic. They stick out past the wheel and are easily damaged by curbing.

mike hunt

Art Begun wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Are you sure there are no powered models? The car was stationary for a heck of a long time and they kept on rotating at what appeared to be a constant rate. Would be neat if they had remote control motors so you could adjust the speed and direction as you drove so the car looked stationary. In fact, lets hook them into the AT directly.

Reply to
Art Begun

Best "vanity" plate I ever saw was on a White Rabbit: IML8 IML8

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

The new RR Phantom has magnetic hub caps which always keep the "RR" pointed right-side up!

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

They are actually weighted.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Hmm,

You must be referring to the Element. Yes, disgusting but in a tie with that Pontiac Aztec.

I also hate those taillight pods. It's a kid thing. Looks like J. C. Whitney threw-up on the vehicle.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Just free spinning and expensive. Some Guido attempted to sell me a pair when looking for chrome wheels for my Expedition. Too bad most manufacturers are cheap (Chrysler excluded) to make chrome wheels an option.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

My Lincoln LS has chromed aluminum wheels, it came from the factory that way. ;)

mike hunt

NJ Vike wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

As ugly as the Element is, it doesn't tie with the Aztec (it wins hands-down for the ugliest vehicle to hit the road in a long, long time).

Reply to
RPhillips47

After reading this I must clarify that I meant the Aztec is the ugliest, not the Element. Sorry!

Reply to
RPhillips47

The Element makes the Pontiac Aztec look like a beauty contest winner. Honda expected the young folk to buy the Element, but all the few I've seen around here are driven by old guys. Must be those with Glaucoma LOL

RPhillips47 wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

True. The only close one to it is (was) the Isuzu VehiCross.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

What about Toyota's new Scion line? Apparently they also think young people like underpowered boxes.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

What can I say, except "AMEN!!"

Reply to
Steve

I agree they are both hideous, but the Element manages to be hideous AND totally boring to boot, even before you get close enough to one to see the plastic fenders, it looks like a perfectly rectangular box with one corner sliced out of it...Frenchy

Reply to
mark french