T&C Bad Rattle in Front End

Some time back, I posted a message requesting ideas about why my 2002 T&C Limited might sound like the front wheels are coming off. After replacing anti sway bar links and bushings - at considerable cost - the noise did not go away, although links and bushings were worn badly. Car has 50K miles, by the way. Finally, the local dealer service guy came up with the idea that there was a problem with the steering gear. It was a major project that cost nearly $700. The upside is that when I drove the car home today, the noise was gone.

The service manager's idea is that the design of the attachment of the tie rods to the gear is the weak link and that local rough roads are probably more than that design can handle over 40K or 50K miles. So, if you live in the land of potholes, even if you drive carefully (I'm an old geezer and do drive pretty slow), and you start hearing a dreadful clunking noise, look out for that steering gear.

Reply to
Bentley

jdoe

Thanks for the heads up... Luckily the roads around here aren't too bad...although a little worse now from the winter weather. I keep my tires balanced too...the vibration from out of balance tires can cause accelerated suspension wear as well.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

My 99 Grand Caravan Sport with about 48K miles is making a creaking sound when I go over speed bumps or dips in the road. The sound is only present in winter and not in summer.

Would this be a sway bar bushing or joint problem?

Thanks. Mike

Reply to
miket

My call would be the sway bar bushings. Defective sway bar links give a rattling sound that sounds like the bottom end is falling out. I had both problems and they were both taken care of with TSB's under warranty. All is fine now.

LG

Reply to
Cirrus99x

Thanks. Do you know if you have to do wheel alignments after replacing front and rear sway bar bushings?

Thanks. Michael

Reply to
miket

No.

LG

Reply to
Cirrus99x

Interesting. My dealer denies that there are any TSB's concerning sway bar bushings and links - at least for my 2002 Caravan.

I've just had them replaced under warranty - just in the nick of time at 33K miles. They were badly worn.

The mechanic who worked on my job says that it's a common problem. He feels that the link design is inadequate.

Doug

Reply to
Doug