T+C Van intermittent starter problem

Hi; I'm having an intermittent problem with the starter in my 2000 T&C Limited, 111,000 mi, 3.8L V6. Any advice would be helpful.

When I turn the key to start it, I hear the starter engage but it doesn't turn the motor. I turn off the key and do the same procedure and the car starts just fine.

Now, I know what most of you are thinking -- bad battery. But I checked it. With the car cranking, the batter voltage is 11.5V. Even when the starter does its crazy non-turning thing the battery voltage is 11.5V. Voltage when car is off is 12.2V. and voltage when running is around 14V.

So, maybe it is the starter cable. So I put the VOM on the starter post and did the same experiment. Same result, 11.5V on cranking, so I assume it is not the starter cable.

Is there a solenoid in the starter housing somewhere, like the old GM starters. I have greate experience with the detachable solenoid on a GM model. Seems like they used that design for

25 years.

My final questions -- Is it worth putting in another starter, cost $100? Are there any other tests I can do? If I go through the trouble of removing the starter to have it bench tested, I might as well not waste time and just put in a new one.

Gary J. Atlanta Georgia. Home of the Braves (Division champs for the past 14 years).

Reply to
gary_jabo

yes, there is a solenoid on the starter assembly and the contacts get very dirty and pitted and stop working. The failure mode is pretty much what you have seen - intermittent starting and "click, no start". You can search this news groups archives to find out how to get replacement contacts for a cheap and permanent fix. The Nippondenso starters themselves rarely fail. Given you hear the click, this seems to indicate the ignition key and starter relay are working properly.

All this said, your battery voltage at 11.5VDC and 12.2VDC sounds extremely low if the solenoid does not engage. You should make sure the battery and the cable connections are good.

Good luck and post your findings for others to benefit as well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

IOWs, it just clicks...

The solenoid is integral to the starter but VERY repairable. You can buy the parts needed at:

You need one each of part number(s) SCC3401 and SCC3404 at 29 and 39 cents apiece, it's a cheap, easy reliable repair.

Uh, no. You'll just get a piece of crap of unknown quality. The starter is easily accessed and held on by two bolts.

Just did one yesterday, took all of 1/2 hour.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I have a very similar problem.

My '96 T&C will turn over a few times, not start, then nothing. I hear no clicks except inside the car in the block below the steering column.

I have the BIIIG shop Chrysler book. I have done all the procedures, except check the park/neutral switch.

When I run the wire from the B+ of the battery to the #87 of the starter relay, the engine turns over very well but, with the key on, will not start, so it is not the solenoid, starter or battery.

I changed the ignition switch (had to buy a whole SET of the torx sockets with the holes in the middle) it made no difference. I took it to the repair shop--IT ALWAYS STARTED THERE. According to them, they started it

300 times... I can always tell when it WILL start because, after driving for a while, if the temp needle goes up, it will start. If it DOESN'T go up, it won't. The gas gauge works whether the car will start or not. We decided that POSSIBLY it was the park/neutral safety switch. I told them to order it and put it in. When it came, it did not look like the switch in the shop manual. The shop guy told me they had to remove the valve body and other things to install it. So I told them to forget it.

The shop manual shows the switch above the pan on the OUTSIDE of the transaxle. So there evidently has been an update since the manual was printed.

All it all, it is a very frustrating situation. I rarely turn off the van because I may not start--or it may, just never know.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Fieronut

It sounds to me like you got a heavy-current wire from the battery that has a bad/corroded/loose contact. Not bad enough to be disconnected, just bad enough to reduce voltage at the engine computer/interior/etc.

In all the traversals this van has taken, did anyone even once put a volt ohm meter on it and measure to see if there was a voltage difference between, say the cig lighter, and the battery?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Another thought: Could it be somehow related to the alarm? Is there a starter cut out or fuel pump cut out on that model and year that might give you the symptoms you are observing?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Greetings - Here's a followup on my 2000 T&C starter problems BINGO - Many thanks to aarcuda69062 (see response below). Saved me lots of $$$$$. I cleaned the starter contacts and put the starter back. Ordered the parts as described in the reply. It works fine with cleaned contacts but I need to replace the contacts when the parts come in. The contacts are only sold in lots of 10, so I will have 9 spares. Anyone want some?

Gary Jabl> In article

Reply to
gary_jabo

The contacts are only sold in lots of 10, so I will have 9 spares. Anyone want some?

I'll take a set. Can pay with PayPal?

Thanx John

Reply to
Fieronut

I think I may be closing in on the problem. The van didn't start a couple of times today but when I played with the gearshift, FINALLY it would start. I think it probably is that park/neutral safety switch in the transaxle. I can hardly wait to pay for THAT fix!

John

Reply to
Fieronut

Had my van towed to the dealer because it flat WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING starting-wise. Cost $652 for a new TCM--plus 2 days of rent car ($167) and 2 taxi rides to various places ($60). But now it works fine EXCEPT the idle is 1200-1300 (was 700 before) and with the cruise set, when going down a hill (not up) the trans shifts from 4th to 3rd. I called the dealer and was told that the computer has to learn everything again. Wish I knew how long THAT takes. Anyway, it is fixed and it WAS NOT the park/neutral switch.

Reply to
Fieronut

Here's a follow-up.

Please read other postings of this thread. They mention starter contact replacement parts. I got the parts but they are sold in lots of 10. I have lots of spares now. Anybody that wants a set of contacts, post a reply and I'll contact you. Parts will be free, just pay shipping (about $2).

Regards, and thanks for all the replies. Special thanks to the member that posted the part numbers. They helped me a lot. I saved $100.

Gary J. Atlanta

gary snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
gary_jabo