The Marriage and Divorce of DC

Latest Car and Driver has a good article on it in this month's issue. Anyone hear read it? If so, do you agree with the author?

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Haven't seen it, but the marriage failed because of Mercedes, and at this point it's the best thing.

Reply to
RapidRonnie

I certainly agreed, and when I look at what I drove for the last 10 years, I apparently voted with my pocketbook. I've had 3 first-gen LH cars, and I don't see where anything on the market today is really an improvement in the combination of economy and performance. That's saying something.

I had not thought much about the product cycles that were "killed" and the future that never was as a result of the takeover. Those opportunities are lost. Whatever those products should have been, it's too late to go back now.

I will say this - the timing is not all that bad for Chrysler. They have some new products out that aren't Mercedes underneath, and their Mercedes products (like the 300) are pretty much due for replacement pretty soon.

Reply to
Joe

I still don't see one I'd buy.

Let it be gone!

Reply to
who

Well, me neither. I'm not in the market for something like a Dodge Avenger. But you have to admit, it's certainly not a Mercedes.

I have read that they have done quite well selling the new Chrysler Sebring. They decided to make the smallest engine available on the highest trim level, and that has really been selling the cars to people interested in gas mileage. Most of the car mags have really panned it for not being as nice as a Honda, but they would probably do that no matter what. I don't want one, but I can certainly see my wife driving one.

Reply to
Joe