Theft Hot List

The HLDI released it's list of cars based on how likely they are to be stolen. Among the top 5 are two Cadillac SUX/XUV models and the Nissan Maxima, which I guess makes some sense. The Cadillac's have expensive wheels and are often recovered without the wheels and the Maxims has the HID headlamps that are a perfect fit to the older Maximas. But also on the list are the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring (same basic car). What is so special about those that thieves are interested in?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Here is the link to more information...

James C. Reeves

Parts. Those spots on the list used to be occupied by Olds Cutlasses and Chev Caprices.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"James C. Reeves" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'd have to wonder how much the list is biased by the sorts of people who leave the car running at the local quick stop. One of these days, I'll have to start watching this more closely in terms of make/model, but I see both new and old cars running and unoccupied all the time.

Reply to
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Two things:

  1. It may be that they simply are very common cars, meaning that they get stolen in large numbers even if the fraction of stolen DS/CS is very small.

  1. It may also be the case that the next most commonly stolen car has a steal rate very close to that DS/CS. In other words, there is nothing special about them.

Reply to
223rem

Chrysler has traditionally had easily defeatable ignition systems making them really easy to steal. Good for joyriders. Especially early 90's Chryslers, but they're started to get less common. I'd estimate 50% of Acclaims / Sundances / Voyagers owners use "The Club" because of this.

Reply to
Bill 2

But our new 2004 Sebring has the *&^# $70 key, so I think it would be harder to steal.

Jeff Falkiner

Reply to
Jeff Falkiner

LOL!!!

Why is it no surprise that a Saturn is at the BOTTOM of the list?

Nobody even wants to STEAL a Saturn!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Saturns were getting stolen like crazy near where I live, well for a period of about 2 weeks or so. I thought I read that the 95 SL was near the top of the theft list according to one report this past year..but I could be wrong.

Dave Stone

Yes, but a lot of older Statuses don't have a SKIM key, so all you need to steal it is a screw driver, a hammer, and a pair of pliers. Or one of those Skeleton keys.

Reply to
Bill 2

Although, if rumors are true, Saturn is coming out with a coupe and possibly a sedan based on the Kappa space-frame RWD platform in 2006. In which case, I might want to stea^W buy one.

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

I read the article; seems they were trivially easy to steal with some kind of special device. But once the novelty wore off, even those thefts stopped after only two weeks - probably no market for them, and they are too boring for a joy ride. :)

According to police, there is word on the street on how to steal Saturns.

"Under normal circumstance," Sheriff Minzey continued, "the past practice was to punch in the ignition, or pull it and try to figure out how to bypass the ignition that's in there. They have figured out how to take some type of device, and just stick it into the ignition, and make the vehicle start and operate."

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

You've just jogged my memory -- I remember taking my old Valiant in for an insurance adjustor inspection and seeing a direct-replacement high-security ignition lock assembly for Chrysler vehicles with the Accustar steering column (basically all '90-'95, with Jeeps and some trucks going later than that). No idea who made it or where to get one...sound familiar to anyone?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Skeleton key"? You can buy those off the internet for several makes. Easy to unlock / start a car, and no damage done to the vehicle. It is cut on a normal key so you can get copies made at any key cutting kiosk.

Plymouth Acclaims are still frequently stolen around here (joyrides / getaway vehicles). Just the other day someone driving a stolen Labaron hit another car and killed the driver. It was the 20th time this teen stole a car this year. Chances are a good number were Chryslers, because once a joyrider learns how to steal a certain type of car, they will continue to do so.

Oh, and as for our quality legal system. Two days prior to this recent incident he was released from custody on another charge, even though the parents were begging to have their son kept in the slammer, and he has a looooooooooooooooooong record.

Today he was released under house-arrest on another charge.

Do they not get it? He will continue to commit crimes. Even after he has killed someone, the public isn't being protected from him.

One can use a pair of pliers. At least that's how the Chryslers work.

Reply to
Bill 2

Sounds like you live in Boston. I didn't think 50% of anybody used the "the club", let alone anybody driving a dull car. Even if you could easily steal a sundance, why would you bother?

Reply to
Joe

Halifax

Joyride / getaway vehicle. Easy to steal and fairly popular. On my street there are probably about 5 early 90's Chryslers waiting to be stolen.

Reply to
Bill 2

Heard on the news this morning that here in Canada the #1 stolen car is the Subaru WRX. One of the Caddies was #2. Brian, in Cedar

Reply to
Brian Barnson

Prolly because they're so good in the snow with their AWD. ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán