Throttle Body Cleaning - Necessary maintenance for LH 3.2L?

I have a 99 Intrepid with the 3.2L engine, about 60k miles. My local dealer is offering a throttle body service special ($79) that includes:

Clean the throttle body Inspect throttle plate Check throttle bores Check /adjust minimum air rates if applicable Check and adjust throttle position sensor if applicable

I'm not having any problems with the engine or idling (other than the occasional barely perceivable shake at idle). Would this type of service be useful for the long term health of the car? Or is it unneccessary when there are no problems?

Thanks!

Reply to
Greg Houston

The throttle body needs to be cleaned periodically. You can do this yourself for the cost of a can of carb cleaner and 20 minutes of your time.

Reply to
Mike

Hi Greg.

I don't think there is any adjustment on the TPS (I think the computer calibrates itself to it when you start up and drive), and other than that it is either working or it isn't, and if it weren't working, you'd know it from symptoms, and there is nothing you could do as a preventative.

There could be some value in cleaning the throttle body - that is the only item on there that, IMO, has any real value - the other things, if you're not having problems are probably OK - I mean, inspect the throttle plate? Check the throttle bores? For what?

Possibly there is some residue buildup on the throttle body. People do have problems sometimes that are fixed by cleaning the throttle body, such as the slight shake at idle. That you can do by yourself fairly easily.

So, bottom line, IMO, unless it is worth $79 to you to have them clean the throttle body - something you can do yourself in 15 or 20 minutes with a can of spray throttle body cleaner, I'd keep my money in my wallet - spend $10 for a can of TB cleaner and DIY.

Bill Putney

Since I switched to Chevron gasoline in '89 I've had no need to clean the fuel system. I switched because a Shell additive was coating the throttle barrel injector on my previous car- '86 Le Baron GTS. My Chrysler dealer suggested I try the switch.

Reply to
Some O

The fuel injectors on the LH cars and any cars with multipoint injection are way downstream from the throttle body. There is no way the brand or quality of fuel used would affect any buildup on the throttle body. There are residues that do build up on the throttle body - my guess is from the oil that blows thru from the crankcase breather tube that is vented into the intake (upstream of the throttle body).

Bill Putney

That's correct, I believe dirty throttle bodies are mainly caused by oil residue coming through the crankcase ventilation system. Thanks for the other suggestions as well. :) -G

Reply to
Greg Houston