Timing belt on Chrysler 2.4 in Voyager

Can someone give me a read on the difficulty of timing belt replacement on a 2.4 in a 2000 Chrysler Voyager?

I'm a casual mechanic, who generally sticks to the easy stuff (brakes, oil changes, tune ups, etc.) but occasionally gets crazy (cheap?) and delves a little bit deeper. I did manage to get the same job done on the 3.0 in my previous '94 Voyager, and it was one of the most miserable jobs I've done to date. Consequently, I'm a little wary about this one. It looks like the water pump is driven by the T-belt, since I don't see any external pump driven by the serpentine belt. I presume water pump replacement is good insurance. How about the idler?

If I were to farm this out, what would I reasonable expect to pay?

Reply to
bruce

That job is about the same as the 3.0 you did, except for the tensioner everything is just about the same, if you were to farm it out,,,,,my guess about 4 to 5 hour job, I recommend doing the water pump at the same time. good luck if you try it yourself.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thats funny.

Reply to
maxpower

If you can handle the 3.0 you can easily do this one..

My book says 4 hours.. Figure from there.

However there are many many very expensive parts in there if you start changing the things you remove ..Got a lot of miles.. you may want to do some of that and you aren't anxious to get "back in there"..

My list is not current so these prices could be substantially higher now, but just for an idea.

Idler and tensioner for the timing belt are about $100 each.. OEM water pump and seal are about $85, T-belt is about $35.. More belts.. hoses,, T stat..and so on

Reply to
me!