Timing belt replacement '99 3.0 Mitsubishi

(Sorry if this is been hashed over many times in the past...)

Is there a recommended interval for the timing belt replacement on a '99 3.0 Mitsubishi Voyager?

The owner's manual doesn't appear to make a concrete statement about it, and searches of the 'net have not yielded a definitive answer.

Reply to
Ken Peterson

120,000 Miles at 96 months a.. Change the engine oil. b.. Replace the engine oil filter. c.. Replace the engine air cleaner element (filter) d.. Replace the ignition cables 2.4 liter and 3.0 liter engines. e.. Check and replace the PCV valve , if necessary.* f.. Replace the spark plugs 2.4 liter and 3.0 liter engines. g.. Inspect the generator belt and power steering pump belt tension, replace belt if necessary on 2.4 liter engines. h.. Inspect the serpentine drive belt on 3.3 liter and 3.8 liter engines. Not required if replaced at 75,000, 90,000 or 105,000 miles. i.. Replace the engine timing belt on 2.4 liter engine only. j.. Check and replace, if necessary, the engine timing belt on 3.0 liter engines. This maintenance is not required if belt was replaced at 90,000 miles (144 000 km) k.. Inspect the tie rod ends and boot seals. l.. Drain and refill the transmission fluid.
Reply to
maxpower

Nope, small inspection cover comes off in five minutes allowing you to visually inspect belt condition and tension.

Mine (95 Caravan 3.0Ltr) went at 126K, but there are no guarentees when it comes to a belt. Could just as easily gone at 60K which by the way is the first sheduled inspection/maintenance point for the belt according to my manual.

Reply to
PC Medic

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

120k >
Reply to
maxpower

For future reference:

(sluggish downloading lately) If the Gates guide is right, and the 3.0 listed is the Mitsubishi, then it's 60k miles. The '99 Voyager is listed under Dodge.

Bill Putney

(sluggish downloading lately)>

My 1998 Chrysler sebring Conv. FSM states it should be changed at 120,000 miles

Gates states it is 60,000. I wonder why?

Reply to
David

> (sluggish downloading lately)>>

Hmmm... maybe to sell more timing belts, you think? :-)

Considering the minivan doesn't get more than about 5K miles a year on it, I probably get rid of the Vger before I have to worry about the timing belt replacement.

Thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread. Much appreciated!

Reply to
Ken Peterson

It could be an error, **OR** it could have been found that the original recommendations were found to be overly optimistic - that has happened before (some Subarus being one example - initial recommendations were something like 65 or 70k IIRC, but had to be revised to something under

60k). I'm wondering if there is a TSB to change the recommended change interval on your Sebring. Not saying that is the case, but it very well could be. At times there has been tremendous political/marketing/legal pressure on the manufacturer to increase the change interval, perhaps when it really wasn't warranted by reality (i.e., the capability of the belt to reliably go the distance).

Some questions: Why can a California car have a much longer change interval than a non-California car on the same engine? Was it strictly due to an artificial legal requirement from the state of California? When you buy a belt for a CA car, is it a different belt than they'd sell you for a non-CA? If not, are the two belts interchangeable? If so, why isn't the better belt used and list all variants of the same engine/vehicle at the same change interval? If there's only one belt for both applications and the difference in change interval is strictly legal/artificial, what does that say about the system?

I have trouble believing that there are two different belts that are non-interchangeable (but I guess it's possible).

Bill Putney

(sluggish downloading lately)>

120k out of the book
Reply to
maxpower

CARB requirements versus EPA requirements.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I guess I don't understand about man-made requirements vs. reality. I mean, either a given belt on a given engine statistically is good for a certain mileage or it isn't. No one has answered the other questions, such as, are we talking about two different belts, one being a CA belt and designed to last much longer (in which case why doesn't everyone simply use the CA belt), or is it all a big stupid joke (i.e., arbitrary numbers all based on the use of one belt design)?

Bill Putney

Unless, as I pointed out in another post, that has been overridden based on experience as has sometimes occurred. And maybe it hasn't - but the book isn't always the final answer.

Bill Putney

And neither from an aftermarket company promoting a sale earlier the the OEM manufacturer. OEM dealers like to service and make money also, but I find it funny that the intervals are a lot longer on the OEM point! Actually double the mileage! Who is right?

Reply to
David

The belts are the same, one doesn't last longer than the other because they're the same part number.

The EPA has their specified requirements for federal emissions certification, California has their specified requirements for CARB certification.

Think of it like this; both EPA and CARB are concerned at which point the timing belt degrades to the point where it can adversely effect the tailpipe emissions. That's it. It has nothing to do with -when- the belt might fail and leave you in tennis shoe mode.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Finally! Thank you! 8^)

Bill Putney

OHH! Wait a minute. You're saying that CA has looser emissions standards than the EPA??? I thought a California car met *tighter* standards. If that is true, then the CA belt change interval should be

*shorter*, not longer. What'd I miss?

Bill Putney

And that is the $64K question. Anyone out there have a Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 break a belt before 120K, or change theirs at 60K?

There is no question that changing a part before it's needed would most likely be good preventive maintenance. However, belt & seals & water pump would probably make this a $500+ expense, which I am trying to avoid for now...

Reply to
Ken Peterson

I wasn't actually saying that, but in some cases and if you look at the California standards historically, yes, California has looser standards than the federal standards. It was quite common for the California standard for CO to be more lax than the federal standard, while the NOx standard in California was tighter. But, as far as the timing belt is concerned, a 120K mile interval would be a tougher -performance- standard than a

60K or a 90K interval would be.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on which pollutant and which model year and whether it is OBD2 or not.

Not necessarily, there is the tailpipe standard and then there is the performance (durability) standard.

Reply to
aarcuda69062