Timing belt replacement: Neon: crazy cost estimate???

It's time to get the timing belt on my 98 neon replaced (~86,000 miles). I took it to a dealership today, expecting it to cost ~$300 -

400. The dealer suggested also replacing the tensioner and water pump, which I understand is a good idea to do when you've got the casing open.

The dealer quoted me almost $900. This seems really high! I have a call out to my regular mechanic as well, but I was wondering if this is in the ballpark of what one might expect for this work.

Also, I need to get my oil pan replaced. I was quoted ~$400 to get this done, which seems INSANE.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reply to
knator

I was quoted $700 +/- for the timing belt alone on my daughter's 2000 Neon from the dealer. If the water pump and tensioner is included they want over $1,000. I priced out all the parts: water pump, belt tensioner, and belt - all for less than $200 with shipping. The labor was around 3.5 to 4 hours. Where do they get $1,000 +/- from?

time for another learning curve......

Reply to
Abby Normal

I think you need to find a new dealer. I'll grant you that changing the timing belt is very labor intensive and $300 is about the right price. I've done it once, for a 1994 Dodge 600 ES. It's also recommended that you change the water pump since you have everything open. Since the dealer is recommending you change the water pump and tensioner, they should be fair. They're basically charging you labor x3; once for the belt, 2x for the water pump, and 3x for the tensioner. They're going off the book because it benefits them. Find a reputable mechanic and you negociate a fair price for the water pump and tensioner.

I also have a 1998 Dodge Neon with about 75k miles. I'll be looking for a mechanic to change the timing belt and water pump. I don't have mechanic but I know people who knows good mechanics. Hopefully I can get service through them.

snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (knator) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
twelveMonkies

I just looked through my owner's manual for 1998 Neon. The timing belt is recommended for change at 105k miles. WOW! That's a lot more miles than the older Dodges. Since you have quite a few more miles to go, you can take your time looking for a good mechanic.

snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (knator) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
twelveMonkies

it is my understanding that the timing belt doesn't go bad before the timing tensioner does. That is what hurts. The bearing seizes and the wheel stops turning. Then the belt heats and comes apart. If that happens the "interference" type engine that is in the car turns instantly into a heavy pile of steel and aluminum worth only what a recycle place will pay for it.

The timing tensioner for the 2000 Neon is a $300 part alone. Add that to a $100 belt and you are starting to climb in cost. Now add in another $100 for a water pump (because they have been known to fail and pour coolant into the timing belt area and reek all sorts of havoc) and you are approaching $400 in parts alone (your cost). Their cost on parts is somewhat different though.

Reply to
Abby Normal