Timing Belt Replacement of 97 Concorde

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a used 97 Chrysler Concorde LX (3.5L) with 120,000kms. The seller told me that he hasn't replaced the timing belt and he has no manual to check what's the recommended milage to change it. Could anybody do me a favor to check your manual for this? How much should I pay if I have to replace the timing belt for this beautiful car?

The seller also said the rear tires need to be replaced soon. Could anybody help me to estimate the cost for this replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Leif

Reply to
Leif

Definitely replace the water pump at the same time you do the timing belt (labor is minimal since you've got it apart at that point) and consider doing the automatic tensioner and idler as well. It will save you money in the long run. I don't have my FSM here at work, but suspect that the time is past due for the belt and it is living on borrowed time.

As to the price, I can't help you there on anything other than the parts. I seem to recall it cost me around $250 for the water pump, timing belt, idler, tensioner, and 2 gallons of antifreeze when I did this a couple years back on a 1996. I also replaced all rubber hoses at the same time.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks Bob! I'll replace the water pump as your said if I have to replace the timing belt.

To my surpise, I read some posts on a Dodge Intrepid forum that suggest replacing 97 Intrepid's timing belt at 105k miles or 170k kms. I recall Intrepid is the same as Concorde. I'll be very happy if the figure is correct :-) Could anybody confirm it?

Thanks again!

Leif

"Bob Shuman" wrote in news:d8s9ae$ snipped-for-privacy@netnews.proxy.lucent.com:

Reply to
Leif

According to the gate Timing Belt Guide

, 105k miles is the correct figure. In addition to the parts that Bob mentioned, you should also replace the front crank seal while you're in there.

Leif wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney