Tires and Wheels

Greetings all. Besides having a 300M, I also purchased a 2007 TL and even thoug it's a different car, I'm sure some of you can still assist.

I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S and want to replace those stock wheels with something a little nicer. Perhaps in chrome. So far, it has been hell trying to find out if any wheels fit other than Ron Johns. My question is that if I do find a nice wheel, will going to a 19" tire & wheel combo take away gas mileage? What about speed performance like

0-60 or 1/4 mile? Will I need to have my Speedometer recalibrated? I have 235-45-17 and would like to upgrade to a 235-35-19.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
NJ Vike

You want to keep the same OD. There are a number of web sites that make this calculation easy. Here is one:

get: Overall Diameter: 25.32 in 643.12 mm Overall Diameter: 25.47 in 646.93 mm It's close, your ODO/Speedo would be about 1% lower/slower according to my calcs. Getting the lower profile tires may be an expensive problem.

You must like a rough ride!

Reply to
who

You can use this tire calculator to see effects of tire size changes on speedometer readings:

Pluggin the two tires into the calculator, they are within 0.6% of each other in speedometer/odometer readings (tread OD is all that matters for that). So when your speedometer shows 60 mph, you would be going 60.4 mph - acceptable error. Fuel mileage will also be changed by that amount (insignificant increase of 0.6% - which may be offset by increased weight of the larger wheel - see next paragraph).

Larger wheels will usually be heavier, and the weight will be distributed more to the outside of its diameter (IOW - rotational moment of inertia - resistance to increasing and decreasing wheel rpm - will increase), so you will have a penalty in acceleration and braking. And your ride will be harsher (shorter/stiffer tire sidewall). So you will be giving up performance and ride for what you consider better looks and cornering ability.

Oh - and tire prices go up exponentially with wheel size.

Your only gain will be in appearance (and bleeding edge cornering ability). Everything else (tire cost, ride quality, acceleration, braking) will suffer. Is that what you want?

Bill Putney

Thanks Bill. I'm going to stay with the same size. After reading the comments here, I don't believe there's really any gain other than appearance.

Thanks again.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Nah. It was just a thought. I'll stay with the original size.

Thanks for the link and comments. I do appreciate it.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike