Tires for 99 Intrepid

I have an 99 Intrepid with about 46,000 miles (70000 kilometers), and I'm considering a new set of tires. The original Goodyear Eagles are showing signs of wear. The car receives average use, mostly in the city.

Can anyone in Southern Ontario recommend a medium-priced touring tire suitable for this car which will give me good service for another few years or should I just go for another set of Goodyear Eagles? I'd love to buy premium tires but don't have premium bucks at this time. Also, any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Arthur Alspector

Many people here will say don't buy the Eagles. They came on my 2000

300M and after 3 years the traction was bad. But I have to wonder if the currently-available Eagles are comparible to the ones sold 4 or 5 years ago. Anyways, I digress.

The amount of driving you do, the places you do it, and your budget all suggest that anything that even remotely resembles rubber and comes in black will do. I think you're making a questionable decision not to at least put more of an emphasis on winter performance (ie it seems you don't want to look at dedicated snow tires or even an all-season with good winter performance). We both know what it's like to drive in Southern Ontario (although this winter the bone-dry pavement is eating up my snows - although snow is falling now).

I'm not quite sure if you have 15" or 16" wheels.

If 16, then:

The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (225/60-16) is something to consider (High Performance All-Season). I'm thinking it's gonna cost $90 (CDN) per tire. Survey results here:

If you want to save a few bucks, consider the General XP 2000 II (Performance All-Season). It should cost somewhere around $65 (CDN) per tire. Look at survey results here:
If you have 15" wheels, then the cheapest tire is (I think) something like the General Ameri-G4S (All-Season). Blackwall version will probably cost $52 CDN (plus tax, etc).

Go to

plug in the size of tire you're looking for, read the survey results, and decide where your price-point is. I'm thinking your price range is going to be between $55 and $85 per tire (CDN), and if you're not going to buy at the high end of that range then I don't think the middle has any advantage over the low end.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Go to the library and check out the recent issues of Consumers Reports. They just did a review of tires and found some particularly good deals.

Reply to
Art Begun

Art,

I had Eagles, which I hated. I am currently running on Goodyear Invicta's,

16 inch. I find them to run quite smooth, relatively quiet and not that expensive. I am in Kingston.

Max

Reply to
MD

I went to Price Club and bought Touring T/As which were I think very comparable to the Eagle GAs, for a better price.

James Linn

Reply to
James Linn

BFG T/A tires have served me quite well in the past.

Reply to
clare

I recently replaced the factory Goodyear Eagle GA's on my '00 Intrepid (base model) with Michelin HydroEdge and so far, I couldn't be happier.

They ain't cheap (about $525 out the door, lifetime balance included) but after a lot of research online and off, I decided to give them a go. Car rides and handles much better than even when the Eagles were new. Haven't had 'em in snow yet; supposedly very good in the rain...so far so good in that department.

They must be rotated straight front to back, since the tread is directional.

My '02 Stratus has Goodyear GT-HR shoes, replacing two full sets of Eagle LS tires that were giving me pulling problems. So far they're pretty good, but if I could afford it, I'd dump them for the Michelins.

Not everyone likes Michelin, but for me they did the job. Good luck.

Reply to
Dillon Family

Reply to
Big Boy ES

Throw my vote in favor of BFGoodrich Touring T/As. Great tires, reasonable price.

Big Boy ES wrote:

Reply to
Steve