Tool for brake spring removal and installation on 1998 Stratus

I attempted to change the rear brake shoes on my 1998 Stratus, and soon found myself in over my head. While I was able to get everything apart, I had extreme difficulty trying to get the top spring, and the adjuster spring back on. The two spring tools that I used merely got in the way. My needle nose pliers were not much help either.

Is there a special tool required to do this? Glenn Beasley, I welcome your response.

Thanks,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Put them together on the bench first, then pull them apart with the springs attached as you put them back on the backing plate, they will sit on the wheel cylinders. then attach the hold down anchors and clips and attach the rest of the hard ware, not sure if that makes sense or not

Reply to
maxpower

Kirk,

first of all I have to admit that I have never worked on the brakes on an '88 Stratus. However I have worked on lots of cars with drum brakes, and assuming that yours are the typical self-energizing type with the star wheel and spring at the bottom connecting the two shoes and then two springs at the top, one pulling each shoe toward the anchor pin, this is how I install them:

1) Install one shoe on backing plate with hold down pin and spring. (if e-brake workes one shoe this is the one that's logical to install first)

2) Take the other shoe and hold it in position loosely. Install star wheel adjuster. Cross top of loose shoe over other shoe and install spring above star wheel. Pull loose shoe into position and install hold down pin and spring, as well as self-adjuster hardware and/or parking brake strut, if any.

3) For the two top springs, hook the shoe end of the spring on the shoe then take a thin, long-shank flat blade screwdriver and set the end on the anchor pin. Hook the loose end of the spring on the shank of the screwdriver and pull out on the screwdriver until the spring slides down the shank and snaps onto the anchor pin. repeat for other spring.

I'm guessing that it's step 3. that you're having problems with and the screwdriver is really the easiest way that I have found to deal with those springs.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks for all the feedback.

This setup does not use a standard type adjustment mechanism. The adjustment device has a rachet type pawl that adjusts the brakes. The problem is a little spring that attaches on the rear shoe, and then connects to the rear-facing end of the adjustment device. The spring has to hook from underneath, which is behind the flange that the lug bolts are pressed into. There is not a lot of room to work. I finally gave up and took it to a tire store. The must have had the correct tool, because it only took them a few minutes.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson