Towing with a T&C?

I'm wondering if I can tow with a 99 T& Limited. Not talking anything huge, just a small utility trailer. 2000# max, 500# tongue, usually much less than that, no more than 4 or 5 times a year.

Van doesn't have a hitch yet, I'd be adding one.

Any thoughts would be great.

Reply to
nobody

jdoe

I totally agree about tow ratings.

Since it doesn't have a hitch, I'm assuming it doesn't have the tow group. I don't have the factory sticker though. What sorts of things might give a clue? Is the hitch, or lack of, a dead giveaway or is it more subtle stuff like tranny cooler, different shocks/springs etc.

Thanks again.

Reply to
nobody

[snipped]

My 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan came with the tow group and did not have a hitch. I subsequently had a Class III hitch installed by the local Dodge dealer.

Reply to
DodgeDriver

'99 tow group did not come with a hitch. Came with a transmission cooler, electrical hook up, and heavy duty brakes.

Your owners manual will give you all the information on tow capacitites. Gives tow ratings with or without the tow group, axle ratings,and gross combined. My personal opinion is that the tongue weight you mentioned is too much for the rear axle rating if you have anything else in the van. I also think the ratings are overstated, and you stand a fair chance of blowing a transmission (weakest link) if you tow to the top of the ratings.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

BE prepared to replace the transmission!!!! they are not really ment to be used as a towing vehicle

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Reply to
jdoe

My harness was hidden in the jack compartment, left rear inside panel. I found it years after I owned the van. didn't know it was there. never used the van to tow, didn't plan to, bought the package to get the brakes and transmission cooler.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher