Town & Country: Mileage more important than age?

I'm looking for a used Chrysler/Dodge minivan and have come across two interesting ones, both Town & Country's, similar enough options. Both have 40K miles, but one is a 2003 and the other a 2005. The 2003 can be gotten for around $1000 less than the 2005. Is spending the $1G worth it just to get a newer vehicle?

The 2005 is missing the middle row bench, but I wasn't planning to keep it in anyway. I want space for stuff, not butts. So I would probably move the 3rd row to the middle.

--Marc

Reply to
takeahike

As you are seeing, age really affects prices of used vehicles, even when in good condition. Toyotas and Hondas seem to be an exception. I would guess that both had the minimum 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty that would now be expired on both, unless the previous owner purchased an extended warranty that should be transferable.

I would go for the less expensive one, unless the 2005 has options that you care about that the 2003 doesn't have.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
jdoe

Thanks for the replies. The options are pretty much the same, basically stripped down. And good point about the resale. I think if I was the dealer I would have put the back seat in the middle and advertised it as a 5-seater. They're a Ford dealer, so they might not even have tried to move it up. When I had a minivan, about a million years ago, I left out the middle seat most of the time. My kids liked sitting in the "back-back". But the dealer didn't know, or want to tell.

I'm going back to the 2003 tonight. I think I can whittle them down further. The 2005 price is firm at $9995, which really isn't bad for that year with those miles.

--Marc

Reply to
takeahikemarc