"Trail Rated" What is it

I've obseved advertising touting the "Trail rated" designation of Jeep vehicles. What is the criteria to receive this designation? Most Jeep owners I have observed NEVER venture off road. Is this a marketing ploy to differentiate their vehicles as being rugged?

Reply to
Roger

You're not serious...are you?

Y'know, I think you might just be onto something there...

DS (...wow, and you figured it out all by yourself!)

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

The term of art for "Trail rated" and that sort of thing is "puffery". The less polite of speech may wish to use other descriptions.

Reply to
Christopher Green

All jeep designs to date have been tested over the 'Rubicon Trail' in California.. this appears not to be public knowledge, so DC has decided to badge all Jeeps with this rather cute emblem to mark the major difference between a Jeep and the average 4x4, as it it has to be said that some 4x4's would fare less well than Jeeps do.. Those of us who already own Jeeps do not see a need for the badge, and do not consider that the badge will impart more ability to the vehicle..

It is accepted that the majority of 4x4's never see off-road, but it demonstrates a toughness not found in other vehicles..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Truth is though, most Jeeps are fairly trail-capable. Of course those like Dr. Lloyd would have DC reduce Jeep to producing mall-ready SUVs just like everyone else.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Judging from the the commercial; I don't remember it exactly; the young person drooling over the badge did not seem to be depicted as the 'off-road' stereotype. But, he just had to have it. Brings up memories of the other companies commercials of tough pickup trucks jumping over rocks and carrying life saving supplies, or the guys in the cowboy hats.. blah blah don't get me started on those ugly hybrid SUV truck/cars.

This marketing is obviously not directed at those of us who choose to drive a vehicle for practicality ( my trusty 89 GCaravan); but to intice those who don't want an SUV to drive a 'tough' little vehicle. ...and I'll bet the financing on the badge is included.

Sorry group, I had to rant on this one... Ric

Reply to
Ric

Jeep has been taking a big sales hit because they have no car based SUVs (i.e. Toyota's RAV4 or Honda's CR-V). There has been much resistance to introducing any because it was seen as diluting Jeep's traditional image. Apparently this is their solution to that dilemma. The regular Jeeps will be "Trail Rated" and the car based ones will not. Personally, I think this would be the ideal situation to revive the old Eagle moniker. Put the car based models under the Eagle name.

Reply to
Sideshow Bob