Trailer Tow Prep Package for Grand Caravan?

We're planning to buy a new Grand Caravan SXT very soon, and we were wondering if it would be a good idea to get the trailer towing package. We don't plan on pulling a trailer, but I like the idea of having the engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, and heavy-duty cooling. The bigger battery is nice, too. The package also includes load-leveling suspension -- is this a needless complexity that will cause us headaches later on, or is it a good idea too?

BTW, it's been very interesting to compare the GC SXT with the T&C Touring. Comparibly equipped, the T&C costs about $360 more, but lacks the fog lights. That seems like a no brainer...

In addition to the Trailer Tow package, we're looking at getting the following:

Supplemental Side Curtain Air Bags Power Liftgate (required by the side air bags) Power Adjustable Pedals Removable Center Front Seat Console

Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

jdoe

We test drove a T&C with the side bags yesterday and I didn't have any trouble. I'm 6'2" (and about 225 lbs :-(). The fromt seats don't fit me real well -- there's a sort of pad in the seat back that comes across the middle of my back in a an oddly unconfortable place. The middle Stow 'N' Go seats actually seem more comfortable.

If my '98 Neon R/T had had side air bags, I wouldn't have been knocked out when it was totaled:

I do have them on my 2001 Neon R/T.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

There are side bags built into the seat back. This year there are also side head bags built into the rail area along the top on the side. I recommend both highly. Just sided a semi coming at me with both of us running at 60 mph. The seat side bag blew, and I had not a scratch. $8,000.00 later my

2004 Limited is now good as new. A no brainier! The blown bag sure does smell funny.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Do you have any headroom issues with the side bags?

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

Based on the '92 model we kept for 10 years, the trailer towing packages seems to have been a good idea. Driving around in Houston summers, the fans got a workout, but the van's temp would never go above the "warmed up" temp, even when idiling with the A/C on in 99 degree humid weather for over 30 min. The only possible drawback is the van seemed to go through batteries quickly, possibly because the larger alternator was charging them too fast.

With experience from a '98 model and an '02 model, the load leveling has never given any trouble and seems to be useful. A fully-loaded van will give the typical 'back-heavy' look until you drive for a few minutes. Once leveled, nobody would even know you have all the stuff/people inside.

Have on the '02 model... useful for setting in heavy loads, but had to be repaired once under warranty.

HTH - Scott

Reply to
Scott Ehardt

My 2004 just has the side bags, the head bags were added with the new fold away seats for 2005.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard