Transmission

Is it possible for engine oil mix with transmission fluid ? If so how to check it ? The fluid is getting foamy after diving for longer time at higher speeds , and transmission gears are slipping. I had the symptoms before , after changing ( last summer ) trans. filter and fluid everything was fine for 6 months .

Thanks Chuck Plymouth Acclaim 1992 , 3L , 3speed electronic with overdrive.

Reply to
Bol

I'm not familiar with the Acclaim, but many cars circulate tranny fluid thru a heat exchanger in the radiator. If a leak develops in the heat exchanger, then coolant (water and antifreeze) gets in your tranny fluid and vice versa. Maybe that's what is happening?

Bill Putney

I can't imagine any way it could. It might be possible to get antifreeze mixed in if there was a problem with the transmission cooler (I think the Acclaim had a oil to coolant type cooler - but I haven't had mine for many years so my memory may be faulty here), but I can't think of any place where the tranny fluid and engine oil get close together.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting