Transmission Advice

I have a '91 Grand Caravan with an A604 transaxle. My goal is to rebuild this trans myself. I am a very handy DIY'er and have kept my caravans running a long time. I bought the video and repair manuals for the A604 from Transmission Exchange. Can anyone recommend any other sources of info for rebuilding this transmission? I'm thinking about getting a trans from a junk yard just to practice with. Has anyone on this list gone down this road before and have some advice to offer? Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Kociolek

I have a '91 Grand Caravan with an A604 transaxle. My goal is to rebuild this trans myself. I am a very handy DIY'er and have kept my caravans running a long time. I bought the video and repair manuals for the A604 from Transmission Exchange. Can anyone recommend any other sources of info for rebuilding this transmission? I'm thinking about getting a trans from a junk yard just to practice with. Has anyone on this list gone down this road before and have some advice to offer? Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Kociolek

Reply to
jdoe

There's many, many special tools required for this trans. But if you have the tools, it's not a tough job...like the other guy said, I found getting it in and out was harder than rebuilding it. I bought a book from

these folks a call, they will tell you exactly which one(s) you need. This is the most comprehensive referece, assembly/teardown manual for this trans that I've found. Ken

Ken Kociolek wrote:

Reply to
73blazer

Thanks to both the two gentlemen that replied. I already have the manual and video from txexchange. I also just ordered the update manual. I was going to use jack stands on the front and purchase a trans jack adapter from Northern Tools. It attaches to a floor jack and has a chain and some tilt capability. After what was said, I'm having second thoughts. I watched the video and didn't see too many specialized tools. I did see that the tech used a special press to compress a spring while a snap ring was put in place. Can you give me an idea of the special tools I would need. I appreciate your comments. If all goes well with the junk yard rebuilding, I plan to use it. If things don't go so good, well I gained some knowledge in the process. Any other suggestions you guys have, I'm all ears. Thanks. Thanks,

Reply to
Ken Kociolek

Looking at the tool numbers in the ATSG manual, if I remember correctly, the following tools I found were a must:

Tool 6259 (pg. 48, fig 27, among other places..) I think this was the most used special tool in the job...theres no other way to hold them gears while removing thier fastners..

Tool 5048,5048-4,6055 (pg 49, fig 34) (that cone was a bitch to remove, even with the tool!)

Tool 5059, 5058-3, 6057 (pg 53, fig 53)

Tool 5058 (pg 45, fig 12) There's no getting that snapring off with pliers or a screwdriver..even though the manual shows a screwdriver assist :>

Inch-pound torque wrench Foot-pound torque wrench Dial indicator

There might of been one or two more, but I don't think I could have found any substitutes for the above mentioned tools. And of course your regular assorted auto mechanics tools.. It is very important with this trans to check all the "end play" that the manuals call out. Its one of the biggest overlooked things, I guess, what happens is instead of a person replaced the part causing the excess end play, the trans simply fails pre-maturly...these trans don't have much room for error. I remember rebuilding a Chevy 400 trans when I was a teenager, the things I did (or didn't) do while rebuilding that trans wouldn't fly here... Remember too, keep an extremely clean work area, these trans' are especially sensitive to dirt. I degreased the whole case and area around it before even removing from the car..

Ken

Ken Kociolek wrote:

Reply to
73blazer

I forgot, follow the training procedure, the "off the ground" then on-road procedure is a must

73blazer wrote:
Reply to
73blazer

was going to use jack stands on the front and purchase a

You are going to kill yourself trust me here! Been there once NEVER again. This is not like pulling a rear drive trans. This is an animal of a different color. Larry

Reply to
jdoe

Reply to
73blazer

I appreciate all your comments but I think Larry is right. Without the right tools, jacks, etc, I may be over my head trying to pull the trans out in my driveway. I will probably try to get a trans from a junk yard to rebuild and if everything goes ok, I'll try and find a place to install it for me. This may be the safest route.

Reply to
Ken Kociolek

I took my A670 (3 speed) out with just a floor jack and a piece of plywood to form a flat surface for the tranny to rest on. It's not the most elegent way to do the job, but it wasn't so bad.

Getting the tranny back in was the biggest problem for me. You have to be able to maneuver it around to line of the bolt holes. It's very heavy and the frame and cross-member really get in the way. For a while I didn't think I could do it, but I finally did. I swore that next time I'd get a tranny jack, which rotates and has chains to secure the tranny. Of course the problem with that is clearance.

Reply to
David Allen

The Company wants to do exactly as you are suggesting, i.e. ease service, but...they have not determined how to make the Wires and Pipes permanently prevent service After the powertrain warrenty expires. LS

Reply to
Larry Starr