Transmission leaks, 41TE, 1994 Caravan

The car is a 1994 Dodge Caravan, Mistu-leaky 3.0L V6, 41TE automatic overdrive transmission. It has about 150,000 miles on it right now.

We've had a transmission leak for a while, but it's been small and not worth finding/fixing. It would go through a quart a week or so. But the past few days it got really bad. Like 2 quarts leaked out in 7 miles on the last trip home. So it's definitely time to do something about it.

The underside is so covered with transmission fluid and gunk that it's tough to tell where it's coming from. It looks like some is leaking around the passenger side output by the inner CV. It looks like there's a seal there that's leaking. I just redid all the CV boots, so I wouldn't be surprised if things got a little wierd because I was messing with old seals in those areas.

Also, it looks like some is coming from the cover/shield between the oil pan and the transmission. That has me a little more concerned. What could that be? Seals between the pump and the torque converter? I was following her home in it on the last major failure, and it looked like a lot of the fluid was pouring from that area.

Is this something I should just find the leak(s) and fix them? Or is this a good excuse for getting the rebuild kit and doing a rebuild on the transmission? And should I keep the torque converter I have? Or install a new one?

Finances say we should do this as inexpensively as possible, but I don't need the false economy of doing the job half way and having to do it all over (and more) really soon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT 1992 Mazda Miata (doesn't look bad for a car that's been hit by an 18 wheeler) 1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy) 1995 Ford Escort (Currently resting in pieces) 1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer) 1988 Mazda RX-7 (maybe for sale, offers considered) 1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])
Reply to
gti.racer.x

jdoe