transmission repair

I have a questions about transmission repair to my 2000 Sebring...I had the transmission rebuilt about a year ago and according to the invoice the solenoid pack was bad...thereafter I was charged $600 for the solenoid assembly...are these 2 different things??? Should the solenoid assembly have been replaced with the transmission? I don't need a detailed response....I just want to know if these repairs make sense...thanks.

Reply to
onehotpd

I am not sure if the "Solenoid Assembly" is the same thing as the "Solenoid Pack". I never owned a Sebring, but when I had a 1994 Caravan with the A604, I had to replace the Solenoid Pack. That entire job, including a trans fluid change and a new pan gasket, all taxes, and labour was about $250 CDN$ at a reputable AAA/CAA approved trans shop.

If you were charged $600 for a Solenoid Pack, then I would believe you were seriously ripped off.

The solenoid pack is not normally (around here) included in the price of the rebuild. A rebuild covers the re & re of the trans, a reconditioned torque converter, and a strip-down and rebuild of the "guts". Sensors and the like are also not included.

However, if you want to replace some of these, it should be MUCH CHEAPER to do so while the trans is on the workbench and out of the car!

Just curious, how much were you charged for the "rebuild"?? And please, please, PLEASE tell me you did not get the work d>I have a questions about transmission repair to my 2000 Sebring...I had

Reply to
NewMan

When getting a rebuild, it is always as good idea to ask what new or reconditioned parts it includes. From what I have seen the solenoid pack and the input/output sensors will be re-used unless otherwise specified. I agree, $600 sounds a lot for just a new solenoid pack, even if it includes the labor.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Let's make this simple: If the repairs don't make sense to you, you've been taken to the cleaners. Sorry :(

Reply to
Bjorn E

Reply to
philthy

The rebuild was $2400 NOT at a dealership but a AAA approved shop and included replacing a bad solenoid pack...10 mos later, which is now, I was charged $600 for the solenoid assembly. Thanks for your response.

NewMan wrote:

Reply to
onehotpd

Hmmmm....... This just SMELLS. I would ask a couple of shops in your area, then go talk to your shop.

IIRC, there always used to be some form of mediation available through AAA if you had a dispute with your shop that you could not resolve between the two of you. Double check, but I think you had to be an AAA member.

The CAA/AAA shops in my area are all really good, and just don't rip people off. As a result, they get a LOT of business. This is not to say that you were not ripped off. But it could be as simple as a misunderstanding. If one of the service writers overlooked the fact that they had already replaced the solenoid pack (since it is not NORMALLY) replaced during a rebuild. I can see how this would happen. Then again, I would have asked for the manager / owner to explain EXACTLY what the difference was and why this was not a waranty repair BEFORE I put my $$$$ on the table.

It is WAY easier to negotiate such things when YOU have the cash that THEY want. Now that they have your cash, you may have a fight on your hands. I would hope that an AAA shop would either take the time to clarify the situation to your satisfaction, or they would admit their error of omission and chearfullly refund your money on the spot. That is the kind of service I expect from a CAA / AAA shop. And if you don't get it, then you need to complain to AAA about that shop (and possibly the BBB).

Reply to
NewMan