Transmission Swap on a T&C??

Hey guys, I posted a while back about my transmission woes and you were all really helpful, so I'm back..

At this point I am resigned to the fact that the tranny needs a major rebuild or replace. A rebuild and/or replace with a factory rebuild are not in the bank account right now. Soooo I'm looking at the "secondary markets" (Bone yards)

Now yes, I am well aware that this is a stopgap measure, and with a boneyard I'm taking my chances that the thing lasts a week, but I'm at that point. I have located three yards that all have a tranny they say will fit. First is from a Doge Dynasty for $700 another is from a Caravan for $500 and another from another Chrysler car I can't remember....and another that says they have several vans with tranny's that would fit for $100 if I yank it myself.

Anyway, my question is, if all the donor cars use the A604 tranny I need, will they all be direct bolt on perfect matches or were there any "Add-ons" or custom things done model to model to make the A604 fit the various cars?

Thanks again.

Chad

Reply to
dave

I went to the self serve junk yard for a transmission for a voyager. I got it out of a Dynasty, which I thought was a pretty good idea because the transmission had spent the first part of its life hauling a sedan around instead of a heavier van. I was able to pull it by myself and replace it in the driveway by myself, and everything worked. I'm pretty sure that the differences between models are in the computer and not the transmission. As long as it has all the same connectors interfacing with the wiring harness you should be OK.

Unfortunately, although my transmission worked out well the engine developed a bad crank bearing while sitting around waiting for me to do the work. But the good news is that the $70 transmission swap went completely according to plan. I'd go for it if I were you, because even if it doesn't work the self serve junk yards usually guarantee their parts for a month and you can get a new one for just your own labor. At a hundred bucks, it's a bargain.

dave wrote:

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Here's how you do it.

Jack up your van, yank your tranny. As you use a tool to do this job, once you finish working with it, put it aside in a box.

When you have the tranny out, now you will have a box with all the tools you need to yank it at the boneyard.

Definitely yank it yourself. Save all the misc bolts and such.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

That's an excellent plan, but there are just a few things you ought to take with you in addition to the things you use in your garage, such as a wire cutter and a utility knife for cutting off hoses. It also wouldn't hurt to take a pry bar and a medium sized piece of pipe.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Reply to
DanHayes

If you happen to be near Denver, I happen to have a brand new A604, cheap, van attached.

There are several A604's out there. They'll all bolt on, but they won't all work. You'll need to do some homework. Surf a better rebuilder's site - in fact surf a few as I've found many are wrong.

- Nate

Reply to
Dll