trickle-charging my 98 Voyager

Since I don't drive my 98 Gr Voyager much in winter, I bought one of those trickle chargers with the cigarette lighter plug-in to keep the battery charged. I've tried it twice and all it does is drain the battery flat. Yet the charger seems to work as advertised - it generates the promised 13 volts on my multimeter. The battery charges fine with my regular battery charger clipped to the posts, or when I'm driving the van.

The wrinkle is that both the front cigarette lighter and the rear accessory drive plug are only connected with the battery when the ignition is on "run" or "accessory". So both times I set the key to acc. I'm wondering if somehow this prevents the battery charger from working properly. Does the relay or voltage regulator screw things up?

There's nothing in my owner's manual about this. Anyone have comments?

Reply to
Dave Gower

With the switch in Acc. position, the acc. loads must be greater than what the trickle charger is pumping in if your battery is getting drained.

Your van does not have an option to have the cigarette lighter connected with the ignition switch off? My '99 Concorde has that feature (set by rotating the fuse for the jack to a different slot - one that's always hot vs. a switched one. Myabe someone familiar with the '98 minivans can chime in - maybe it doesn't have that feature - but look for that in your owner's manual.

Bill Putney