Truck horn vs. car horn

Thanks for the help in the other posts.

I have 3 more, pretty straightforward questions, I think. #2 is the most imporant. :)

I have a '95 Lebaron. My left horn broke, and I replaced it with a horn from a friend's '95 Caravan, which had been wrecked.

His horn seems louder than mine was, maybe because his was a truck, and mine is a mere car. Is that the way it works?

(I can't compare my new horn to the original horn, because I have had the horn from my '84 or '88 Lebaron in there until today, and I had destroyed the original horn, in order to look inside of it. The horn I took out today from my previous car never worked well, maybe because I had to jury-rig the connector. Which has nothing to do with rigging a trial jury. :) )

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

Horns are built to sound musical notes. Typically the dual-note horn was 2 individual horns, one A the other F, that makes a partial chord I believe (the musical folk on the group can correct me) However, you can find notes A, B, C, D, E, & F in the wrecking yards parts bins, as for single-note horns in cars the makers seemed to use all notes.

It is possible to put 3 horns to make a full chord, I believe it's A, C, F.

However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound right. Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other, and so the horns are fighting each other, one always sounds louder. This also can happen if the horn is out of tune.. With a full or partial chord using the right notes the horns harmonize with each other as they are harmonics of each other, so the notes reinforce each other.

The horn note is usually stamped somewhere on the horn itself.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Is that what's intentionally used on fire trucks?

Bill Putney

No.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Probably. There's also a certain amount of debate as to whether or not a major or minor chord is more attention-getting. Railroad companies have often specified one vs. the other for their locomotives (google for 'Nathan Airchime' and 'Leslie air horn' for more info on train horns and chords).

One thing I'm convinced of is that the goofy little "buzzer" horns found on a lot of imports are completely useless.

Reply to
Steve

I haven't studied horn technology, but the '86 Subaru wagon I had had an adjustment knob on the horn assemblies. I discovered it one day when the horns quit working. Apparently they adjust the little screw at the factory to some specified dB level. Well - I pulled both horns off and found those screws (one on each horn), and found that not only could I make the horns start working again by adjusting them, but that I could fine tune them for *tremendous* sound volume - way more than the original factory setting. It was loud!

Oh - and I would strongly suggest that anyone playing with those adjustments wear ear plugs while doing so. What? What?

Bill Putney

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:26:26 -0400 meirman posted:

Interesting thread.

So are the horns in a Caravan or other truck louder than the horns in a LeBaron?

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

Not necessarily, no.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I wouldn't think that a major chord would be jarring enough. It would sound kind of silly on a car horn. I think the standard car horn has a minor third in it.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:14:46 -0500 Robbie and Laura Reynolds posted:

I think the Caravan's horns were marked 400 and 500 Hz.

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

Interesting... That would be more of a harmonious chord.

I always wanted to connect a bunch of car horns to an electronic keyboard. Could be fun, but I've never gotten around to it in the 25 years since the idea first occurred to me.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Of course, a major chord contains a minor third (it's three notes, with a major third between the lowest and middle, and a minor third between the middle and highest).

Which wouldn't even be a recognized interval! And, frankly, seems a lot more likely to me than any of this music-talk.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I've got to believe that that was done on the Ed Sullivan show at least once. :)

I'd like to see a PLC hooked to an engine and the loop closed on the rpm (exahust tone). Put it on a dynomometer and record the sound out of the exhaust. Program the PLC to play songs - now that would be music! I guess you could do multiple engines and get them to harmonize.

I thought about sending the idea into Tim Allen for his "Tool Time" TV show, but never got around to it.

Bill Putney

Of course, like many other things they had to dumb it down since the techs today have such a narrow education that they don't even know that a musical note is represented by a letter. Comes I guess from replacing music in the schools with sports. Either that or the more well rounded auto engineers retired and got replaced by a bunch of young pups raised on heavy metal who wouldn't know a chord from a cord.

But I assure you, as I said already, go look at a box of horns in a wrecking yard, particularly older ones from 'real' American iron, and you will find them marked with musical notes. A and F are the most common.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I'm sure they are selling like hot cakes now that the Dukes of Hazzard movie is running.

Kid stuff! Here's what you really want:

Only problem is it needs it's own trailer.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:16:22 -0400 Bill Putney posted:

The '95 Chrysler horns have a screw with a fluted head that I figured was for adjustment, and although it was hard to turn, I tried all settings hoping the get a sound from the original broken horn. But no setting would work (even though the horn had electrical continuity.)

I hadn't thought about adjusting a working horn. I can see how this might happen, depending on the details of the design. I think I'm happy with the volume of the horns now**, but if I ever take them out again, I'll think about it.

**Unlike those tiny cars that have tiny horns. It's ridiculous, a tiny car can cause a crash and do as much damage as a big one. It can kill a pedestrian as easily as a big car. Why should its horn be less loud?

OTOH, when my burglar alarm chirps, it's now too loud. That must be because I added a second siren in parallel with the first. I would just use the second, that came with the new alarm and is fancier than the old siren, but if I cut the wire to the first siren, there isn't a lot of room to connect it back up again. I have to test what the two sirens together will sound like. Neither are simple tones. One is the one with six sounds in sequence, and the new one is a Psycho Psyren, that after the first few seconds sounds like two separate siren. I'm figuring the sound I get will be distinctive, like one's baby's crying.

They actually provide 4 chirp volumes in this alarm, plus mute. I'm on 3 now and I may try 1 next.

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

"" wrote: > meirman wrote: > > > I think the Caravan's horns were marked 400 and 500 Hz. > > > > Interesting... That would be more of a harmonious chord. > > I always wanted to connect a bunch of car horns to an > electronic > keyboard. Could be fun, but I've never gotten around to it in > the 25 > years since the idea first occurred to me.

Helped my friend put a truck horn into his geo metro once. its great seeing people freak out cuz they think a big rig is comming only to be passed by a geo. :D

Reply to
xmirage2kx

True. I forgot about that...

Frequency ratio of 5:4 is a major third.

Robbie and Laura Reynolds