Tune Up No Sooner Than 100,000 Miles?

I made a matrix of the maintenance schedule from the factory service manual so I could have it all on one sheet and in a time line. I just pulled it out to confirm that I didn't miss a plug and wire change on my 2000 Concorde LXi. According to my sheet... I didn't. Did I copy this right? Is there no scheduled replacement of plugs and wires before 100,000 miles? Everything seems to be running fine. I just want to keep it that way.

Reply to
John Gregory

The LH cars have what's called coil-over-plug. IOW - each plug has its own dedicated coil mounted right over top of it - no secondary ("high tension") wires to replace. It's a very good system - only thing you'll need to do is replace the plugs. Occasionally a coil might go out (though I haven't lost one yet at 140k).

Yeah the book says 100k on the plugs. My advice (Oh no - I'm getting ready to recommed something other than what the factory recommends!!!!!!) 8^) is to replace the plugs at around 70 or 75k miles. For two reasons: (1) Much less likelihood of difficulty in getting the plugs out due to bound up threads - many people have had that problem when they leave them in for the full 100k. (2) You will get

1 to 2 mpg improvement with the new plugs compared to the ones that have 70+k miles on them. I and others have individually documented that.

Bill Putney

The mileage benefit may have some truth to it. 30,000 miles ago, I pushed the average mpg button and got a reading to around 22.8 to 23. Now I get

21.8 to 22. 70,000 miles on the car now.

Plug recommendati>> I made a matrix of the maintenance schedule from the factory service

Reply to
John Gregory

Reply to
tim bur