Turn Signal, 2000 Dodge Caravan

I need help. My turn signal module p/n 0486190 is starting to act erratic again. It'll work fine for awhile and suddenly stop blinking. When that happens the rear signal lamp stays on even after I removed the key. This will be the third one that's failing. I have this minivan since new. It now have 120 K, Km. The parts guy at the dealer says that it's not a normal failure item and something else could be wrong. However when I replace it each time with a new unit, it works fine until it acts up again. I've searched this newsgroup and Allpar minivan forum but couldn't find any answers.

Thanks.

Reply to
CKC

Make sure it isn't a bad bulb. I had the same thing happen to my mother-in-laws Neon, and it turned out to be the turn signal bulb with a filament that was broken, that vibrated enough to keep contact and cause the same problems.

Reply to
David

The Canadian-market turn signal modules on the '96-'00 minivans are not the most reliable units. The failure usually starts with improper DRL operation (DRLs stay active even when headlamps are on) and cascades from there. I'm sure you're getting tired of replacing modules.

You can install the US module (without DRL function) which is more reliable than the Canadian with-DRL module. Canada requires DRLs, so also put in the aftermarket DRL module available from

. Finally, you will stop losing front turn signal bulbs so often if you stop by the local Saturn dealer and pick up two front park/turn/DRL bulbs for a 2004 Saturn Ion. These type 5702KA bulbs are a direct replacement for the 3157LL or 4157LL bulbs you have now, but last much, much longer.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern