Upgrade to Automatic Headlights?

I have a 2002 Town and Country LXi and the one feature it's missing that I want that the Limited has is automatic headlights.

Is it possible to install the Limited automatic headlight feature into the LXi?

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have a 2003 LX, and it looks like the two pieces needed (per the FSM) light sensor and the auto headlight switch . So far I got the light sensor with the auto dimming mirror on e-bay but have yet to come a cross a headlight switch.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Great! I assume you're talking about the switch on the Limited that lets you turn one more setting to Auto, correct? If so, I can't imagine that piece costing too much to buy from a dealer, then again, it's certainly possible.

I don't own the FSM. Where does the light sensor go and does it look easy to install?

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

I haven't checked the dealer yet, but it's not just the switch it looks to be an assembly with the remote mirror control also.

Reply to
Kevin

Just so you realize that typically in daytime fog, snow, smoke (and sometimes rain) situations you will very likely still need to turn your headlights on with the manual switch. The "auto" feature is extremely unreliable at applying the proper vehicle lighting (or legally required lighting in some states) under those situations. It's only reliable for night use. In Maryland, vehicle lights are required when sight distance falls below 1000 feet. A "auto" system doesn't exist that can know when that situation occurs or can apply different laws when driven in different jurisdictions. Lesson? Don't come to rely on _any_ "auto" light control for all situations when lights should be on.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Hmm, I already have power mirrors.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

Absolutely. The main reason I want it is for them to just turn off on their own when I turn off the vehicle. I hate the stupid beep telling me they're still on. Just turn them off! They're also handy when going through tunnels and such.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

I had this feature in my Chevy Venture and I just loved it. Pull into a parking ramp or tunnel and the lights were on before I needed them and off as soon as it didn't. I do like the Chrysler version better with the option of auto, manual on and manual off.

Reply to
Kevin

Interesting...the GM's I've driven usually have about a 8-10 second on delay and a 20-30 second off delay (some are adjustable). So, in my case, I turn the lights on manually while entering a parking garage several seconds before any "auto" system does that I've driven. But, whatever.

The larger issue with "auto" systems is that for a seemingly significant percentage of the driving population it seems to train them to no longer think about this important safety device. Since it's called "auto" (short for automatic), they believe it really is automatic thus they never have to do anything (which is very wrong). At best it's nothing more than a ambient control system...only reliable for night use and nothing else...so is far from being truly automatic.

I agree, the Chrysler implementation is much preferred over the GM implementation. It gives the lighting control choice to the vehicle's operator who best knows what works best for them.

| > Just so you realize that typically in daytime fog, snow, smoke (and | sometimes | > rain) situations you will very likely still need to turn your headlights | on | > with the manual switch. The "auto" feature is extremely unreliable at | applying | > the proper vehicle lighting (or legally required lighting in some states) | under | > those situations. It's only reliable for night use. In Maryland, vehicle | > lights are required when sight distance falls below 1000 feet. A "auto" | system | > doesn't exist that can know when that situation occurs or can apply | different | > laws when driven in different jurisdictions. Lesson? Don't come to rely | on | > _any_ "auto" light control for all situations when lights should be on. | >

| |

Reply to
James C. Reeves