Value of 2.5 l I4 engine?

What is a good pull 2.5 engine worth? Are turbo ones complete worth a lot more than the NA ones? What should one look out for when shopping?

Any idea on weight?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

I think they are worth their weight in gold! It's one of the finest 4 cylinder engines around. Danmed shame they don't make it anymore. I have one in my 88 Voyager with a 5 speed and the mileage is fantastic! Common headaches: These engines are known for blowing head-gaskets. Do regular maintenance and use a gauge instead of idiot light to ensure engine is always running at low to medium temps. Use 195 degree thermostat as called for by Chrysler. Some people use the Mopar Performance head gaskets to prevent blow outs.

I change my oil religiously every 25 hundred miles and other common maintenance procedures and this puppy won't quit! On long trips, I easily get 27 MPH. I have heard discussion a while back that the later versions with 5 speed trannies don't get quite the mileage as the early ones. It's mostly with the gear ratios of the newer five speeds.

In any event, they run forever and I love mine to death.

In answer to your other questions, I know nothing about weight. For what they go for from from a boneyard, check 'car-part.com' on your Internet.

Happy Motoring!!

Reply to
CaravanGuy

If I could attain only 27 MPH on a long trip, I think I'd take the bus! :-)

My 3.3L minivans will easily go 70 MPH.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Picky, Picky Picky!!!

How about 27 MPH. My 92 Voyager 3.3 gets about 22 on a long open road trip. Not bad for a 3 thousand pound chunk of metal!

'CaravanGuy'

Reply to
CaravanGuy

Actually if you drove 27mpH the entire trip you might just get 70 mpG!

Ted

Reply to
tedm

MILES PER GALLON!

Reply to
CaravanGuy

Why do you want to drive at 27 MPH all the time? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Why didn't you just say MPG in the first place? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Depends on your definition of "good", how many miles it has on it, and a few other factors.

For any given condition and mileage, generally yes, because they are scarcer.

That depends on what one needs in the first place!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Certainly one of the more reliable and durable units, and in its turbocharged forms, it gives sparkling performance.

They do, in China.

No more so than any other iron block/aluminum head engine of similar design parameters. They're known for attracting owners who pick mechanics who do half-baked work, and the resultant repeated failures have led some to believe these engines are "known" for blowing head gaskets.

Well, running at *correct* temperatures.

The MP head gasket is not significantly different to the factory gasket. The "do it once and never again" gasket is the MLS item from Cometic.

Given today's oils, that is excessive, pointless and wasteful.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

My T&C 3.8 gets 24mpg averaging in the low 70's. Not bad. In the city, the mileage is horrible, maybe 14mpg.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Do small block Chevies running aftermarket heavy sand cast aluminum heads on iron blocks, XK Jaguar OHC sixes, or 6V53 Detroits have these headgasket issues? Oh, yeah, I forgot, Detroits don't have head gaskets....

Anyway, my big question, if this little mill has proven pretty stout, is how much it weighs and also, if they are available cheap in good shape.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

And I guess you don't make mistakes? (Jeez, what a waste of time).

Reply to
CaravanGuy

My'95 Concord 3.3 gets much more than that fuel mileage, plus it weighs more (?) at 3,400 LB.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Nope, at such a low speed fuel mileage would be worse.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Some small-block Chevies (cough400hack) straight from the factory with CAST IRON heads had far worse head gasket problems than the 2.2/2.5 with its aluminum head.

XK Jaguar OHC sixes, or 6V53 Detroits have these

Yeah, Detroits have their own set of problems :-p (If I never have to hear a stinking 2-stroke Detroit screaming like a banshee and swilling lubeoil by the gallon again in my life, I'll be a happy man).

They're not particularly heavy, but they're heavier than similar displacement aluminum-block engines. Such is the price of durability and ability to survive a lot of boost. As for availability, check car-part.com and see.

Reply to
Steve