Valvoline ATF+4

Has anyone in the group tried this over the counter trans fluid? It states it meets Chrysler's spec 9602. I also saw it at Walfart in the Super tech brand labeled ATF+4. Results?

Lou G

Reply to
Lou G

If Ashland brands it ATF+4, then it has to meet the MoPar spec, I'd think. However, I'd never buy anything from Wally-Fart, regardless of pricing advantage.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

My wife works a Wally World and the ATF+4 is made by Valvoline (as much of the Wally World Oil is) which you can buy at any auto parts store now. Since Chrysler has to license and approve the ATF and MFGs have to the QA standard before it can be sold I would guess it is ok. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

'Guess' is the key word there. It depends on a several things: How tightly the ATF+4 specs. are written; Are there two (or more) sets of specs. - one for Mopar and Valvoline labeled product and one for third party labeled product (this is often the case in the modern manufacturing world)?; I assume MBA's run Valvoline, and therefore all bets are off about a spec. and quality controls meaning anything especially for a third-party label product.

I realize any product carrying the ATF+4 label is supposedly made to some spec. (the public would automatically assume that, and MBA's would take advantage of that), so the following analogy is not perfect, but assuming that the SuperTech ATF+4 is indistinguishable from Mopar or Valvoline branded ATF+4 is almost like saying "Infinity makes great speakers. My 300M came from the factory with Infinity speakers, therefore, my 300M has great speakers". IMO, it's a gamble to assume that it is the same product with no technical compromises. Another example is the "Genuine" GM, Chrysler, Ford parts gimmick used on the public for dealer-purcahsed parts. Many dealer parts sold under the "Genuine..." label are made to an entirely different (degraded) spec. OEM manufacturers have a network of people they call when they have quality issues on the production line that they call to unload the substandard product for aftermarket - including dealer - parts at a reduced price.

Bill Putney

Good point Bill. I happened to be in Wally world today and they had 4 qts.of mopar +4 on the shelf at $4.42 qt. so I picked them up. I also learned as you stated they are not created equal. The ST brand +4 stated meets mopar specs #7176 which is old specs for +3 and older versions as far as I know. The mopar brand is #9602 which is only for

+4. The Valvoline +4 I spotted in AA was also speced at #9602, so I recon that would be ok. My feeling now is with the trans being such a costly item the mopar fluid is still the best deal after doing the research. By the way the Valvoline was more expensive at $4.68 qt.

Thanks to all you folks that replied.

Lou G

Reply to
Lou G

Ooh - I wouldn't have thought they'd have made that so obvious. Those MBA's are slipping! The WalMart brand did not mention 9602 spec.?

Bill Putney

What's wrong with Walmart ? If they have the same item for 20% less, that's good for the consumer, not bad.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

Nope! ST was labeled ATF+4 but back read meets chrysler spec #7176 replaces ATF+ 2,3,4. No mention of #9602.

Lou G

Reply to
Lou G

Unless it's your business that they put out of business by doing that, which means you've just lost your job... Is that good for you as a consumer?

Reply to
FeMaster

If the consumer's an idiot, yes. If he has at least half a brain and can use it, then no. You can also blame this "Wally-Fart" effect for the mass closures of thousands of independent and regional auto parts houses and jobbers, with the onset of low-buck, lower-quality national chains like Poop Boys and AutoBone.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

'Cuda's hit it on the nail. Look at Murray, the lawn mower maker. Wal-Mart Murray products are NOT the same as those sold by them elsewhere. I have a neighbor who learned the hard way that any product sold by Wal-Mart not only will not perform to the standard of the same manufacturer's product sold at better retailers, but that Wal-Mart will try in earnest to "hose off" any warranty claims or customer complaints. The local small engine/lawn equipment shop here in town verified this just the other week for me...a "Wal-Mart Murray" is NOT the standard Murray product, and is designed to fail due to "decontenting" from their standard models. The parts listings aren't even the same; self-propelled MTD mowers from Wal-Mart use cheap plastic drive gears that do NOT come on their product sold elsewhere...only Wal-Mart.

Again true. Chinese Mr. Coffees bought there are "built to fail." Since no one fixes anything anymore, they expect the toad buyers to simply throw it in the trash and return for another one. I bought a Bunn coffee maker....15 years ago...and have never, except for descaling the boiler tube, had any failure of any kind. That's quality, something you do NOT get from Wal-Mart.

Exactly right.

Reply to
DeserTBoB