Very weird problem: 96 Stratus 2.4l

The small green LED square that normally is framing the P on the automatic transmission position indicator (when in Park) on the dash was not there. I moved the transmission lever into D without starting the motor. Then back to the Park position but the square did not illuminate.

Started the motor then heard a gawd awful starter grinding noise. Went into neutral and actually was hearing the starter trying to engage!

Shut everything off.

Tried again, noise was there again, went to DRIVE, engine quite. Started it up again, in Neutral, managed to get into drive and get home.

I badly needed to use my car again and soon. I disconnected the battery from the car's electrical system for about 5 mins. Reconnected everything and seems to be back to normal for now.

Any ideas as to what happened? is this a lurking problem waiting for a place and time to happen again?

-Vince

96 Stratus 220,000kms.
Reply to
VC