VW now requires Synthetic Oils for the Turbo 1.8 liter 4 cylinder engine

I own a 2000 Passat with the turbo motor. VW just sent me a notice that explained they were increasing my engine warranty to 8 years from the vehicle's original in-service date without a mileage limitation. The reason is engine failure related to sludge build-up. This is in engines that were following the manufacturers oil change interval of 5,000 miles. From this point onward the require the use of only synthetic oil that meet's VW's standard. They actually sent a list and not all synthetic oils are on it. They will be adding additional oils to the list.

This fits right in with the posts above. I had never used syn in my Passat. Even though I knew turbos could cook the oil and choke, accumulate sludge etc.,I thought that I had enough of a margin of safety because I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I don't run at high rpm in the heat under load except perhaps for a few seconds at a time once in a while.

Evidently VW had thought so as well, which is why the NEVER required synthetic oil. Until now. Engine failures out of warranty from good customers who were not using their engines outside of their design intentions. Note that VW has not reduced the oil change interval, and it has not said that if you use regular oil and change it every 3,000 miles. Regular oil is now outside the warranty. And those who did use regular oil and can show that they changed it every 5,000 miles have an eight year warranty on their pre- new oil standard purchased cars. Note that the car came new with regular oil and that is what VW dealers put in during regular oil changes.

So now I will switch. But my 1997 T&C van with 136,000 miles will continue to run on dyno oil.

Reply to
Ron Ginsberg

I own a 2003 Passat with the 1.8 turbo. I just took it in to the dealership for a brake issue and, as long as they had it, asked them to do an oil change. Without telling me, they changed the engine out to synthetic oil. When I got the bill, it was twice as much as a regular oil change. It was only when I asked that they explained the issue (as noted below). My other car is a 2000 Audi A4 1.8 turbo. So, I'm getting hit double. My new lesson -- never again will both my cars have the same engine.

So, in order to get my warranty, I now have to pay more for my oil changes? The cost of oil maintenance now just DOUBLED for the life of the car. Since it's *their* problem, shouldn't it be solved at *their* expense?? Does anyone have any suggestions or remedies? (I'm just a little ticked off).

Libby

Reply to
Libby

Skip going to Starbucks for a week so you can afford the $30 for an oil change.

Reply to
Threeducks

Thanks, jocko. Your response would have been oh-so-helpful if:

1.) affordability was an issue from my post. I can afford $12.50/qt. oil -- I'm just not in the mood to pay to cover a manufacturer's mistake -- especially while both vehicles are still under warranty. b.) I actually spent money on overpriced burnt coffee. Seems both Starbucks and VW have sludge issues.
Reply to
Libby

OK couple things.

First of all, learn to do your own oil changes. It's not hard, and you buy the oil on sale. I use Dyno oil and I get the stuff for under a buck a quart. Sometimes even 50 cents a quart, depending on who's the rebate of the week. I've seen plenty of rebating going on with Synthetic oil as well. Oil changing is easy to do and once you get the proper tools only takes about 15 minutes and if you know what your doing you don't get dirty. I've changed oil in my driveway in the morning in 20 minutes when I've been wearing a business suit without a problem. I don't recommend doing it like this but I know it can be done without ending up looking like the Creature from the Black Lagoon. If you use a good tall strong floor jack, keep your tools clean, use rubber gloves, and a shop coat over your clothes, you can do it.

Second, 5,000 miles is too long a change interval for regular oil for a non-turbo car. You should go 3K miles for regular oil and 6K miles for synthetic. (too bad VW's engineers set it at 5K for synthetic but they were obviously panicing) No longer. These extended drain interval recommendations are coming from the marketing departments trying to sell cars to people who use a slide rule to figure out the total cost of oil changes over the life of the car at the time of purchase, and by adjusting the drain interval you make the total maintainence bill come out lower, so they buy your car.

Third, you never use regular oil in a turbo engine. I cannot believe that in 2000 v-dub's engineers were stupid enough to spec regular oil. By then the problems of coking up dyno oil in turbos was known by everybody and their dog and monkey. If I had bought your VW in 2000 I wouldn't have ever used regular oil in it. Just one more marketing baloney spec to adjust the maintainence totals downwards

Last, chill out. Use some math and calculate out the total cost of oil changes over the life of the car. It's insignificant. Your going to pay more than that in fuel costs due to unforseen fuel cost increases over the life of the car. Why is it that VW owners all feel the world owes them something? VW did you a big favor. After about 4 changes with Synthetic the inside of your engine will be cleaned out with little to no lasting damage.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Mobile 1 costs $4.50/quart at any autoparts store.

-- I'm just not in the mood to pay to cover a manufacturer's

Reply to
Threeducks

Mobil 1 no longer meets VW's oil requirements (as noted in the technical bulletin they mailed).

Libby

Reply to
Libby

I am curious to know which synthetics VW recommends. I used to buy a synthetic made by Chevron, until it was no longer available. It was $3.99 a quart. More recently, I have used a synthetic sold under the NAPA name, that is manufactured by Ashland, which produces the Valvoline brand. It was $3.49 a quart.

Mobil 1 seems to be popular with this group. Most places charge $4.99 a quart from what I have seen.

What makes one synthetic better than others?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Go to Wal-Mart. Mobil 1 5qt container is under $20.00 in various viscosity groups. Mobil uses a synthetic base and synthetic additives. It is a proven product. This is not to say others are not as good.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

What do you do with your old oil?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Pour it back into the bottles your new oil came in and take it to your local recycle center. In some states local gas stations that do oil changes are required to take used oil.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez