Warranty

I might buy one more PT Cruiser soon and I wonder what happens to the extended warranty if Chrysler goes "belly-up"?

Reply to
Even Stephen

If they go Chapter 11 they won't have to honor the warranty unless they want to,or the courts order them to. I would guess that under chapter 11 they would still honor their warranties as long as they could, if they didn't they would have no chance of recovering. If they go chapter 7 then there would be no company to honor the warranty. Third party warranties are another matter, if you were to buy a third party warranty then it would be honored as long as that company didn't go bankrupt.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

It could be that all of the extended warranty money would go into a dedicated account for such things rather than into a general operating fund if it was a Genuine Chrysler LLC extended warranty. I suspect this would be considered a contractual obligation that could be enforced no matter what.

In the case of an aftermarket extended warranty, you can get hung out for any repairs until the company decides to pay what they want to of the claim you might submit.

According to the document filed with the Treasury, Chrysler has the lowest warranty claims/vehicle in the US auto industry. Might not need very much of the extended warranty, hopefully.

Just some thoughts,

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

Not sure how they are now, but my 1994 Dodge had no big problems until it was well past the warranty date.

Reply to
David E. Powell