Weird electrical symptom, 2002 Caravan

Yesterday evening, when I went to start my 2002 Caravan SE, the exterior lights, front and rear began flashing. At first I thought the

4-way flasher was on.

After checking that it wasn't, I realized that it was the headlights and taillights that were flashing in an alternate side to side pattern, just like ambulances or police cars flash.

Turning the ignition off, lights off, 4 way flasher switch off, turn signal switch off, etc made no difference .

I finally got it to stop by pulling a battery cable and resetting the computer.

What the heck caused this? There is no burglar alarm system in the car, at least none that I know of. I've owned the car since new and it's never done this before.

Is there some sort of emergency public service type flasher function built into the computer? Obviously, you can't drive the car this way with headlights flashing side to side, you'd get pulled over pretty quite.

Of course, until then, it might make it easier to run red lights.... :-)

Anyone else ever see this?

tnx,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Did you press the "Panic" button on the keyless entry fob? That will cause the situation you described.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

There is no panic button, there is no fob. This is a base Caravan SE with no power door locks with of course, no keyless entry.

However, perhaps that function is built into the computer and some glitch triggered it.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

| | There is no panic button, there is no fob. | This is a base Caravan SE with no power door locks with of | course, no keyless entry. | | However, perhaps that function is built into the computer | and some glitch triggered it. | | Doug | |

Hmmm...could be possible. Since the vehicle did what it did strongly suggests that the module that makes that happen exists (even though you haven't the option/method to activate it). As you point out...something must have triggered it though...power surge, loose wire, garage door opener, who knows what? I'd tell the dealer about it..maybe there is a TSB on it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves