What are causes antifreeze smell in cabin?

I have a 2004 T&C LX and recently I have noticed a sweet aroma when I first turn on the heater fan, also the windows inside get fogged up land do not respond to the defrost setting.

Could this be a simple fluid hose leak or am I going to have to deal with a defective heater core and all its replacement issues and expense when taken to the dealer?

I thought I had extended added care warranty coverage for this heater component, but a read of the coverage doesn't mention heater core anywhere!

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Frank

Reply to
ECLiPSE 2002

I'm guessing that the heater core is most likely, but it actually isn't impossible for it to be anything the coolant goes through from the radiator on back. You'll need an actual diagnosis to know.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I wouldn't think a leak forward of the firewall would cause the symptoms that are described to the degree that they are, Joe. I suspect heater core.

Reply to
Bill Putney

ditto on the heater core. i recall the hose connections are outside in the engine bay not inside the cabin.

just curious is it low on coolant? that might be a hint of fluid loss.

Reply to
Rob

Many thanks to the responders for their input - yes I have noticed a slight loss of engine coolant. From the assessment I guess I'm looking at replacement of the heater core. I have been told that removal and repair/replace heater core is a labor intensive undertaking - as it is located under the dash and requires removal of the dash and other obstructing components.

I'm hoping that antifreeze aerosol laden cabin air is not a hazard to the respiratory system - it sure coats the cabin glass!

Frank

Reply to
ECLiPSE 2002

If, you need to us ethe vehicle and don't need the heater, then disconnect the heater hoses from teh heater core. Simply connect the two hoses together. This works well down south were does not get to cold but I know you folks form the North need your heater like we need our AC.

Reply to
Licker

yeah the entire dash has to come out i think. its that way on the mini vans and the Cherokees too. about 6 hours i think but don't quote me on that.

Reply to
Rob