What is status of Chrysler / Mopar replacement parts at this point ???

I'm probably looking at having to do scheduled non-waranty work on my '00 300m, such as replace the timing belt (for the first time) and water pump (just because it has to be removed anyways).

This is basically what-ever needs to be done at the 100k mile point. Tranny fluid and filter change, etc.

Would any of these proceedures be affected by the current shut-down of Chrysler and the various parts manufacturers?

Will I have a hard time getting this work done in the fall vs now?

(Since I'm in Canada, none of the dealers here have been forced to give up their franchise, so that aspect is not an issue).

Reply to
MoPar Man

Have you thought to contact a dealer or independent service outlet with the question?

Reply to
cavedweller

Is there some harm in asking here first?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Not at all except that most of the knowledgeable posters here are in the US. Timing belts, transmission filters, and the like are readily available from jobbers. You could always buy a supply of ATF 4 for future use at a dealer right now.

Reply to
cavedweller

There shouldn't be a problem with service type 300M parts, although there may be a bit of a part disruption in the short term until the plants get going again. If I were you I'd buy those parts now.

BTW overnight last week end the closest Chrysler dealer to me, Deer Lake Chrysler, Burnaby, BC became a Mitsubish dealer.

have Chrysler knowledgeable staff, so this statement is questionable:

I'm not surprised Chrysler dropped them, they came to Chrysler from American Motors and their very small service dept, wasn't upgraded. They had a very good location for drive by sales and there is no other Chrysler, or Ford or GM dealership along that busy street. All have become "import" dealers over the last several years.

Reply to
Josh S

I believe that the supply of mechanical parts will be good for Chrysler vehicles for many years to come. There are many third party vendors that make them.

What will be difficult, is specialized body and interior parts that are only used for a specific vehicle. I fear that they will become more expensive and scarce over time.

Salvage yards will also be able to provide some for a while. Hopefully they will keep some for awhile, before sending off the rest to the recycler.

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

Based on, among others, the example of Rover Cars in the UK, I agree that spare parts should be no problem for a long time.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling