WHAT KIND OF A RADIO DID i GET

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser that I bought new. The radio has a display that, for some stations, gives a readout of the station name, song, name, program name. I've read that Digital Radios do this but I didn't order one. There doesn't seem to be a brand name on the radio so I can't research that. Do regular radios have such a display? D.

Reply to
CLK

More then likely just the standard radio that came with the vehicle. This is standard equipment.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes. Its called (I think) EDS, or Extended Data Service. My old Kenwood had it, and it would also set its own time. Nothing digital about it, just data piggybacked on the analog signal.

Reply to
Deke

But most likely it is encoded digitally.

Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

It's RDS - Radio Data System.

Joe

Hi!

Yes. What you are seeing displayed is called RDS. A few radio stations in the US (and many more outside of the US) use this feature to broadcast information. The information transmitted can be as simple as the station's call letters, or it can contain more interesting data--such as the name of the song that is playing, the current program name, time info or traffic reports.

This feature is much more popular (and more commonly supported by radios) outside of the US.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh