What model years can I use for my 92 Plym. Grd. Voy.?

I have a '92 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE w/ 3.3L. On Halloween my Grand Voyager was 'mated' with a 95 Buick. Due to the 'extensive' damage, the vehicle was rated a total loss. The van has the original engine but a re-man transmission that was installed by the dealer on 02-04-03 with only 5,100 miles. I attempted to make this clear to the insurance company but they have decided that the transmission is only worth $200.00. I bought the vehicle back from the insurance company and was originally going to sell it for parts. I am, however, thinking of finding another van to put the engine/transmission into.

Here is the $64 question: What model years will this engine/transmission easily go into? What other Dodge or Plymouth makes/models (Grand Caravan maybe?) will accept this engine/transmission? What other questions or concerns should I have? I will not be doing the work myself. I plan on employing a certified mechanic but I will probably doing most the legwork.

Thanks in advance.

-Lydokane-

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Lydokane

Should fit just fine into any '89-up Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth minivan. You'd want to use the latest-year transmission and engine controllers.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You should have called your state insurance comissioner and found out your rights. In most states the insurance companies must take the value of recent major repairs into account when calculating the book value of the vehicle. It is generally illegal for an insurance company to look at the value of the vehicle AFTER the collision. Even if the accident had smashed the tranny into bits, they must give you book value of what the vehicle was worth BEFORE the accident, not AFTER.

Now, granted if the work on the reman tranny was done by your brother-in-law in his barn, that's a bit different.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Heh heh! Reminds me of when my wife had an accident in a >10 year old Mazda 626. The windshield trim strips had gotten ratty looking just prior to the accident, and I had obtained some decent looking ones (chrome instead of deteriorating black paint) from a junk yard to replace them with. Both sets of trim strips were sitting in my garage when the adjuster was in the driveway writing up the assessment. They ended up totalling it out, *BUT* for the value of the car, he subtracted out the value of the trim strips at new Mazda dealer prices!! I told him what I was doing and offered to show him both "new" and old strips in the garage 20 steps away - he refused to look at or consider them. What a jerk.

In the end, I came out OK - threw a fit with the ins. co. and ended up buying it back for $150 with drive train and turbo and engine in perfectly good working order. Sold it to a guy for $450 for him to do a turbo conversion into his Mazda pickup truck.

Bill Putney