What's a dummy lamp and an enthusiast jumper?

I have a '95 LeBaron and I've been looking through the shop manual, especially the electrical diagrams.

What's a dummy lamp and an enthusiast jumper?

The dummy lamp appears to be something (a lamp?) on each side connected between the hot wire to the high beam and the hot wire to the low beam. Does this really exist? Does it give light? Where is it? What is the point of it? LOL

"Enthusiast seatjumper" is the title of the second page of wiring, page 80 for the AJ model, for the power seat.

Why is it called an enthusiast seat jumper? :)

Another strange thing is that nowhere on that page can I find where the 12 volts comes in. A problem since my power seats stopped working.

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

"dummy lamp" is a term Chrysler has used in various shop manuals to refer to lamplike devices that do not produce light. The red-and-amber plastic panels on the rear of the decklid of a 1989-1992 Dodge Spirit or '92-'95 LeBaron coupe/convertible, for instance. Or the "looks like a corner parking/sidemarker light, but isn't" device outboard of the headlamps on a '91-'95 Caravan, Voyager, or Town & Country.

That said, Chrysler has used all kinds of bizarre and nonstandard names for devices in their wiring diagrams. "Lavalier lamp", for instance, has been used to refer to export-spec parking lamps _and_, in different diagrams, to export-spec side turn signal repeaters.

A device connected across low beam hot and high beam hot would never light up. Why not scan and post what you're looking at?

To make you ask this question, so the guy who drew the diagram can go "HA-ha, you're a dummy!".

"Enthusiast Seat" is the term used by Chrysler for an upgraded driver's seat in a sport variant of whatever model. Usually, these seats have improved lumbar support and often they are electrically operated. A "jumper" is a connection between two circuit paths not otherwise normally connected.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Actually, especially if it were a lower wattage bulb (than the other two), it would light up, perhaps dimly, when one light was on and the other not, but not if both were on or off at the same time. In Boolean algebra, this is called an "exclusive-OR" function. Not sure what purpose that would serve. But, as you've indicated, this is speculation and serves no purpose - just correcting a technical inaccuracy. Can't help it.

Bill Putney