What's the difference between the various "models" of Chrysler 3.3 motors?

I have a '99 Grand Caravan with a 3.3 "G" motor (flex fuel) and the bottom end took a dump. I can rebuild what I have (119k+ miles on it) but I prefer to swap in a used motor with reasonable miles and then rebuild my old motor. Thing is I am having trouble finding a compatable engine. I was told that I cannot use earlier model enigines ( thru '97?) nor can I use later model engines ('01 - current). I was also told that I cannot use a standard "R" code motor - even if it is a '99. The last really seams strange as I could simply swap the my entire existing fuel system on the the "R" motor.

Can anyone tell me whether or not I can use one of the "other" 3.3 motors? The '01-current motors would be great as I have found a couple of them with very low milage at a reasonable price.

TIA for taking the time, Jim

Reply to
<jbharri

, searchable used auto parts nationwide. When youput in the VIN code of your engine, the search results show onlycompatible engines.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

OK. Thanks. However I still want to know what the difference is between the differrent 3.3's.

Reply to
<jbharri
97 is one version of the 3.3. Then changes to the engine for 98 and 99. Most parts interchange between 98 and 99 but not with 97. Mainly due to emissions reg changes. In other words the 97s were one group of engines and the 98-99 were another group of engines. The biggest difference between the G and the R engines is the PCM software. The G engine PCM software is capable of "learning" the use of up to 85% ethanol (E85) in the fuel tank by watching the O2 sensor (called sensorless flex fuel). Alcohol burns leaner. After it learns that there is 20% E in the tank, all OBD2 monitors are turned off. When E content drops below 20%, then the ECM calculates the number of tankfuls of gas that have to go through the engine before OBD2 monitors are re-enabled. The EPA awards emissions credits to mfg's that go beyond certain emissions minimums on a particular engine pkg. They can then use those credits against other engines that don't quite meet a spec somewhere else. It's balanced out by the "total emissions produced" by all engines built. There are people in the auto mfg's that make a living keeping up with this crap. (emissions credits) (not me). Most of the 3.3's between 96 and 2000 were "G" engines, to earn the credits. "R"s would be sold in areas with less stringent emissions regulations.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
98 and newer. I misspoke :) Bill