Where's cylinder #3? (3.5L)

Anyone know which cylinder is #3 on my 97 3.5l Concorde? According to my Chilton's it is

56 34 12 front I don't trust the book because I found a few pictures that were wrong- they were upside down or reversed! I got a code 43- Autozone put a tester on it and said it was #3 misfire- I replaced plugs, wires, #3?? injector but still comes up- rough idle- any other ideas? Thanks!
Reply to
John Doe

If you look on the coil where the wires go it shows you which cylinders are what and what wire goes where.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I *think* that is actually right, but as another poster said there is a diagram under the hood that should remove all doubt.

Once you've satisfied yourself that all the ignition components are up to snuff, I think you'll find that you probably need a new lower intake manifold gasket and the air leak is what's causing the misfire. That (along with waterpump housing O-rings and the fuel rail recall) is one of the very few "common problems" that the 3.5 had. The lower manifold gasket replacement isn't a huge job, but its a bit of a PITA because the upper plenum, injectors, and fuel rails have to come off to get to it, along with the coolant hoses that attach to the lower intake manifold (and gotta drain the coolant).

Reply to
Steve

Thanks-Rechecked it all and is right- I changed the right injector (book is wrong showing coil block). Too bad the problem not fixed.

I had all the problems mentioned and dealer fixed, I see sealant around manifold. I tried running a propane around the manifold with a torch to see if leak but no change FWIW. Removed #3 plug wire and can tell it is weak or dead- no change in rpms like others-good spark. One thing not checked is injector electrical, but hoped??? I would get another code if that was problem- only get 43 misfire. Will check compression today but fat chance. If I give up I guess would try manifold gasket since I know how to get plenum off now- just didn't get fuel rail "quick" disconnect figured out. Didn't need to do that and I don't know if I even needed to remove plenum to change injector but I read the Chilton's which is fiction.

Reply to
John Doe

Correction- not sure if manifold gasket was ever repaired- sealant was used.

Reply to
John Doe

Normally if the intake is leaking it is going to be a corner cylinder and it usually goes bad at the rear, #5 or 6. Or 1and 2 in the front.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi...

The most basic of basic injector checks can be done in just a few seconds using a long'ish screwdriver or wooden stick as a stethoscope.

Put the handle end gently against your ear, the tip against the body of the injector, and hear it (hopefully) clicking away.

Is it necessary for me to add that you need to be careful doing this? :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

get a 78 cent carb cleaner at wal mart, GENTLY spray it around the base of the intake, or any place that would let air in.If the idle changes, you found your problem, if no problem there, i had a faulty cam sensor, as cam sensor will take care of fuel, and crank sensor will do the(crank sensor is on the passenger side at the back almost on the transmissions) spark.I spent four days until i found that the timing belt was off one tooth and it ran rough. You can check that in less then 15 minutes by removing the front cover and ligning the marks up, it will be very noticeable if it is off of not.

Reply to
j19686