Where's the oil going?

I've got a 1978 B200 Dodge van. 318ci auto trans, 362,000mi. I've got about 200,000 miles on a good engine rebuild. Two years ago I replaced the timing chain, water pump and front end. I've used Castrol 20/50 and changed every 3k since the rebuild. It runs smoothly and DOES NOT smoke. I've tried going down a steep hill in low gear and then accelerating at the bottom of the hill and still couldn't get it to smoke. I don't see any oil on the ground under the van. It is "using"

1 quart every 400 miles. I switched to Castrol hi mileage 20/50 about 2600 miles ago and haven't noticed any change yet. Does anyone have any idea where the oil is going? TIA, -cadjak
Reply to
cadjak

With or without catalytic converter?

And yet...

Could easily be a pressure leak that doesn't show up until you're on the highway, at which point the oil leak takes a path that leaves minimal or no stains on the vehicle itself. One of the prime suspects for this kind of leak is the oil pressure sender. They can even still work as they leak under pressure. Other common leak points include the oil filter mount and others which I'm sure Steve L will comment on in greater detail eventually.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
cadjak

Then it's quite possible the engine *is* burning oil. The catcon will consume and "invisible-ize" a great deal of oilsmoke so you'll never see it. Go do a cylinder leakdown test on all 8 cylinders.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Probably a good idea to check the PCV system real well too. If that's it, the solution is likely very simple and cheap (replace or clean hoses and PCV valve).

Bill Putney

Or simply drop the cat and start the engine. It WILL be noisy, but a heavy oil burner will make visible smoke with the cat out of the way.

My '88 New yorker was using a fair quantity of oil, and showing NO smoke. I pulled the crossover pipe, and when I started the engine there were huge billows of blue smoke. Valve guides were very sloppy. Cat was also dead and had to be replaced to pass E-Test.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Ooo! Be careful. Unhitching the exhaust under the hood has caused many a fire, one I've seen myself.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

You don't need to run it long enough to even get anything hot. Bad valve guides allow oil to run down into the cyl when the engine is shut off, and that oil makes a cloud of blue smoke immediately on startup.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Changed the plugs, cap, rotor and PCV. 2 of the plugs were a bit furry with deposits, but I've sen worse. Found a small leak at the rear main $eal. I think I'm burning some and leaking some. The rear main is too expensive to tackle on a van with this many miles. As long as the oil consumption doesn't get worse, I'll keep adding oil. Anyone here selling a low mileage, cream puff, Ram Wagon? -cadjak

Reply to
cadjak

At a quart per 400 miles? Yick. Why not just swap in a good used low-miles engine? It's sure to improve your fuel economy as well as your oil economy.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern