which carb for? 1987 2.2L caravan.

Been reading the

and I have question about that 2.2L carb used on caravans for that year. 'Van is federal/canada, automatic, btw.

The question, is that 'van use electronic 6520 feedback carb or plain

5220?

To help positively identify correct carb is for that 'van, need more clues to look for besides either lack of O2 sensor, numbers on computer, etc.

Cheers,

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Wow, good luck. FWIW, we had a 85 voyager 2.2L but with manual transmission, and carb in it didn't look like the one in either of the pictures in the Chilton manual. We bought the van new, in the USA. The model numbers sound familiar so they were probably used then.

It might mean the Chilton manual was lousy, or it might mean that things were changing. I seem to remember it wasn't a feedback carburetor with an oxygen sensor, but the book implied it should have been.

BTW, wasn't the 2.2L only used with manual transmission? I thought the automatics in the 85 year used the mitsubishi 2.6L 4 cyl.

Reply to
Steve Driska

No big surprise there. Chilton manuals are full of incorrect info. They're best used as fuel for a nice, crackly fire on a cold winter's night.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

True again, 2.5L TBI combo was introduced and mitsubishi 3.0L that was for later half of 87. First half of 87 had 2.6 and 2.2 to consume all the remaining stocks with mixed up new and old parts. This was how I got this hodged up collection of old/new style parts in mine; old type distributor for one example, coolant temp sensor (was used in 1985) is another. That was change over year.

Secondly, 2.2 did have choice of transmissions: either manual (combo is standard) or automatic (optional), 2.6L for these 'vans got automatics only (2.6 is optional)

I do happen to have factory service manuals (4 set) for that 1987 that covers dodge caravan, plymouth caravan and ram van.

Please refer to reliable info sources not the chiltons and not hayes books either. Both books are good for fire starters like stern daniel commented.

The original question on this setup for correct carb (there's only two carb types for 2.2L) still unanswered. I have both carbs now and former owner messed with 'van emissions and carb, a spare spark control computer came with 'van when van was brought. Swapped out incorrect thermostat.

Cheers & Happy New Year eve!

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.