Which Engine Coolant for 1999 Chrysler T&C ?

Hi,

I need to add some engine coolant to 1999 T&C - the level is below minimum mark. Chrysler recommends ethylene-glycol based coolant, but they also warn not to mix brands since various other additives, anti-corrosion etc. might not mix well. The problem is I don't know which brand they originally put there.

Should I just ask the dealer and buy coolant from them? Or maybe somebody on this NG knows what engine coolant is used with Chrysler T&C Limited, 3.8L engine?

I apologize if it is a newbie question - I am newbie as far as car maintenance is concerned.

IP.

Reply to
IPavlov

You need G-O5 type coolant. You can either buy it from the dealer or from the parts store. Make sure the bottle says "G-O5" on it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
IPavlov

Reply to
jdoe

I agree that it would be fine to add if the level is too low. Should it be

50% ethylene glycol solution? But when cooling system is filled or coolant is replaced, do they use ethylene glycol with anti-corrosion additives?

Thanks for your help. IP.

Reply to
IPavlov

You're missing the point. All coolants can accurately be described as "ethylene glycol with anticorrosion additives" (except for the "low toxicity" types, which are propylene glycol with anticorrosion additives). The difference among all the different kinds of coolant is the type of anticorrosion chemistry. Some of these different chemistries are compatible with one another -- some are not.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern