Whining Neon Fuel Pump

I bought a 2001 Neon earlier this week and just noticed this morning that the fuel pump is whining quite loudly. This is a fairly fixed pitch whine that is noticeable in the cabin at lower speeds. I brought it back to the dealer who predictably said it was nothing to worry about.

Apart from the fact that it's annoying, is this an indication of impending trouble? If not, is there anything I can do to quiten it?

TIA

Reply to
Greg

therebel

"Greg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It is most likely the fuel pump and it is normal on all I have seen. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Reply to
Mike Behnke

I had an earlier Chrysler car that was known for eathing fuel pumps, Omni GLH-T. I went through 4 pumps while I owned the car. Some whined, some didn't. The sound was not an indicator that the pump was going to die. The first pump that died on my did so with no whinning at all. It start to die intermitently and then finally quit. The second pump started out silent and then slowly developed a whine. Eventually it died. This pump was replaced with another pump that started to whine early on. It kept whinning for the next 30k miles or so until I sold the car. Another poster mentions letting the tank get low on gas as a potential cause. I don't think this is true since after the first pump failed on me, I always made sure the tank never got below a 1/4 full and rarely under 1/2. That did not influence pump noise or operation.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Reply to
damnnickname